Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Iron-On Album Art

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Iron-On Album Art

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Wings of Peril

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron-On Album Art

If anyone here has tried this, let’s see your results. Here’s my just-finished wicked, sick and twisted trainer. It speaks to my Dark Side. Thought about doing a theme model, then thought that it might be lame but I’ve always liked the prism image and love Pink Floyd. Didn’t need a trainer but the kit was a high-quality freebie and I was in the mood to build. Will likely maiden today or tomorrow.

Doing the trim is about the only fun part of the covering process. All trim is just what it looks like–monokote and ultracote scraps cut with a razor blade and straight edge. For a cutting surface, I used a sheet of neutral- grain plastic of medium hardness. It’s slick but has a grippy surface that keeps the covering from sliding around while slicing away. The narrow strips and all exposed edges are protected by brushing on Testor’s glosscote high-gloss lacquer. On the narrow strips, it seems to add some depth and luster.

Model, specs and Modifications: Midwest Aero Star .40.kit 62” span. Older ST.45 ABC for power. Tail- dragger landing gear instead of trike. Wider elevator, stab and rudder. Bolt-on wing instead of rubber bands. Tail surfaces relocated to the fuselage topside to allow for tail wheel. Dual aileron servos instead of torque rods. Dihedral at 2” total instead of 3”. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16058.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	782019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63019.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	782020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78317.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	782021  
Old 10-14-2007, 01:29 PM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Iron-On Album Art

W.O.P., very interesting with some nice results. I'd bet it would be a safe bet that there won't be another one at the field that will look like yours. Making it just the way you want it is a big part of the fun of the hobby.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
djr1007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Iron-On Album Art

Looks more like a cross between Pink Floyd and ZZ Top to me.