Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Olive Drab Paint In PPG

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Olive Drab Paint In PPG

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:49 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Olive Drab Paint In PPG

Hi I am looking for a paint code for PPG paint in Olive Drab for a P-40 that I am doing any help would be greatly appreciated. The paint store that I deal with does not have a formula or chip book for olive drab.

Thanks Randy
Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Olive Drab Paint In PPG

go to a good hobby shop that sells Testor's Model Master paint.... find the shade of olive drab you're looking for there will be a number on it.... that number is the mil-spec number(military specification)...then see if ppg can match paint based off the mil-spec. the number will be 5 digits starting with 3 for flat and 1 for gloss
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Most of the automotive paint shops can actually scan the color and then match it extremely well. The Model Master paint suggestion is an excellent one. Use at least a 4" X 4" piece of sheet plastic. Paint the plastic with the Model Masters and they can scan the color from that.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

I actually have tried both. They have no cross reference for the FS number and they don't have a paint scanner system either. They say that they make match paint the old fashion way by just mixing the color by hand. I really want to get the mix formula so that if I want the same color later it would be close to matching. Any paint distributors out there?

Randy
Old 10-30-2007, 04:28 PM
jetmech05

find a better paint shop
Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send me a dried sample of the color you want and I'll match it up for you as well as supply you with the formula so you can get it made locally. I've done this since the early 80's so no big deal. Always willing to help. PM me for details....

Dan

www.gocolours.com

BTW, the spectrophotometer ( scanner ) is NOT the be all and end all when it comes to color match. Nothing beats the human eye. This device, while extremely handy, is designed to give blendable color matches in the automotive world. While they sometimes can amaze you with their accuracy they can stumble when it comes to non-automotive colors such as flat or satin colors. There just isn't as deep as a color reference library they can work from when formulating the color. Maintaining a formula is no problem for hand match work. Anyone tells you any different, find another jobber.... We also have 3 of them (scanners).....
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
teksteriii

If you want I can send you the paint code from the OD green we used to paint our fullscale P40. It might be Imron I'de have to check. If you want to see the color look at our website www.fighterfactory.net. Glad to help if I can.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 PM
teksteriii

Well I posted the last message awhile ago and didnt get any feed back so even if this is a dead topic ill post these paint codes for future searches on the subject. Our P40 here at the fighter factory is painted OD Green Spectramaster Code# YS536A on top and Imron gray code# 57704X. Hope this helps the P40 crowd.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

The Shade called " Eastnor Green " Is as Close as it get's in PPG,

I have it Sprayed on a Ziroli Twin Beech & it looks Great,

You will also need some flattening Agent, for the Clearcoat if you don't want a gloss finish,

51-D GUY
Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to Home Depot.
They modified a standard Behr green to what I wanted. NO charge. Has the mixture formula on the can. I cut the paint with 3 X the water amount. Nice. $ 3.50 / gallon.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

cyclops, can you post the final color code from home depot? I am getting close to getting paint for my P-40 and need the Olive Drab and the Grey paint.
Thanks, Denny