Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hanging Planes, How-to Hooks

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hanging Planes, How-to Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
experimental_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanging Planes, How-to Hooks

I have some Ceiling Screw Hooks like this.
What is the proper way to use these? Will they hold if I just screw them in to the ceiling? Pre-drill a hole?

Maybe a dumb question.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hanging Planes, How-to Hooks

Find a stud and just screw em in. Sometimes helps to use pliers or drill a small pilot hole.

I havent had much luck with the "tapping to find a stud" method, but it gets close, then I use a long thin pin to confirm that theres a stud there before drilling. (especially tricky on my bedroom wall where theres 1" sheetrock for sound)
Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Laird SS

Badsplice, will a Stud Finder (the kind for walls, not the other kind) work with 1" sheetrock? With that thick a wall, you must live next to a place that plays rock music or uses jack hammers.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:12 PM
fozjared

yes stud finders should work fine at 1" but the thing is most of those hooks don't have anchors more than about an inch.. you will just have to be sure to get one that is at least 1 and 1/2" to go into your stud deep enough as sheetrock is not made to hold things up.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 AM
BadSplice

I dont know if Experimental has 1" on his ceiling, I dont, just that one wall. (where, of course, was the best place for my wing racks) I live in a duplex, and it was very well built. They offset the studs and used 1" sheetrock in the common wall to prevent noise crossing. And I have a little room out back too with a conc floor, where the washer/dryer, and all my fuselages live
Old 12-07-2007, 02:26 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1" rock on a lid I don't think so, mabee 5/8" on a new house 1/2 on a older one,or 3/4 lath and plaster on a really old one if thats what you have,you want to find wood joists, screwing into wall will end up in disaster the screws will pull out of the ceiling without having the wood to bite into.
once you get them set, a good method I use is take a couple of plastic(the thick ones that look like the wire ones) hangars and use some plumbers pipe insulation on the bottom for padding and slip one over each wing side and hang the plane from the wings the pipe insulation pads the wings, they work well for hanging your plane from the ceiling,I hang a couple of planes that way off of exposed electrical conduit but hooks would work as well.
also for hangigng planes on the wall, metal shelf brackets work well pad the standards with the pipe foam and there adjustable and a 4" section will hold 3 planes easy and are adjustable for different sizes of wings and fuses.
I have a couple of wall hangars one by the T.V. work table and another over my main work bench.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15687.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	820178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66490.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	820179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17121.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	820180  
Old 12-07-2007, 07:42 AM
w5kfg

Most studs in a house is either on 16" centers and ceiling studs can be on 16" or 24" centers
Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I perfer my rack made from 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe. Wall space is at a premium in my garage so it hangs frome the ceiling with the wings on the bottom and fuselages on the top.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:54 PM
experimental_pilot

Thanks for all the tips. It's hanging nicely.