Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Check Valves and Inline Fuel Filters

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Check Valves and Inline Fuel Filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Harleyflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Valves and Inline Fuel Filters

I am just curious who uses these in giant scale gas planes. I have heard very different opinions about inline fuel filters....some for and some against and I just don't know what to do with the 35% gas plane I am building. An example for against is I have had people tell me that if you double filter the fuel going in you should be fine.....but....I don't know.

Regarding the check valve, I was told recently by someone that has flown RC for a long time that if you T off the vent line and put a check valve, you don't have to worry about fuels spills during aerobatics.....he said you don't even need to worry about looping the fuel line to the back of the fuel tank like a lot of people do. He says the check valve will let air into the line but will not let gas through the other way when the vent fuel dot is closed.....which sounds good to me but I don't have any experience with it.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Check Valves and Inline Fuel Filters

No experience with gas engines, but with glow and diesel I run a filter between tank and engine. I fly control line stunt airplanes with a one-way valve on the uniflow if open to the air, or in the crankcase pressure line to the uniflow (overflow plugged). Tried one-way in a muffler pressure line and didn't like it.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Check Valves and Inline Fuel Filters

hi good idea to use a fuel filter-for gas or glo. the filter will simply collect any unwanted particales from getting into the carb- and clogging the carb. it is easier to ---back flush---the filter-than to remove and clean the carb. with glo engines-will help prevent-a dead stik-engine will still run with some junk in the filter--but not in the carb. fuel tanks -should always be drainned--after use--or they seem to produce residue in the fuel tanks- i always strain my new fuel -through a coffee strainer-- use a fuel filter in the fuel jug--and a filter on the plane and some times i still get some junk in the filter--go figure--flying 15 year -a lot -and very successfully ===tony==