Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Substute's For CA Glue

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Substute's For CA Glue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 11:55 PM
David Shaffer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Substute's For CA Glue

I have a question. Does anyone out there know of a glue (other than CA) that works as fast and as well as CA? Every time I use CA, I get cold - like symptoms that include :runny nose, sneezing,and sinus problems. I have tried running a fan so the fumes would get blown away, I also bought a good resperator and tried that. I always end up not feeling the best after I use CA.

I would be greatfull to anyone who can suggest another glue to use instead of CA

Thanks for any suggestions !

David
Old 05-01-2003, 12:12 AM
BCJETJOCK

Default CA Glue

I've went as far as using a full face respirator, and venting the room. I must be severely allergic to the stuff, cause when I finish gluing, I leave the room for a while, and I still have a reaction to whatever lingers in the room. You will also notice the more you use it, the more severe your reaction will be. I now go the slower route, by using Sigment and titebond wood glue. And a magnetic building board system. If I have to use CA, I only use it briefly. If there is any other substitute out there, I would appreciate the suggestion too.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:15 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried the 'Odorless' CA glues? They might work...I've been using a lot of Pica's Gluit (white glue) and it dries quite quickly.

Jerry
Old 05-01-2003, 03:12 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you DON"T switch to "User Friendly Odorless", you WILL have respiratory problems!
Pneumonia-like symptoms and difficulties.
I use UFO exclusively since developing serioius response to ordinary CA.
And more often I use GP Aliphatic Resin... I'm not in that much a hurry anymore to -need- CA.
UFO is sadly 2x the price.
But the freedom from effects of CA fumes is worth it.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:00 AM
CafeenMan

David - My personal opinion is that you can build as fast with Carpenter's glue as you can with CA. The vast majority of building time is spent getting things set up - not waiting for glue to dry.

CA has a lot of drawbacks and it's only virtue is a fast drying time which can often bite you. Just ask anyone who's ever put a part in slightly crooked or in the wrong place only to discover their mistake a minute later.

Seriously, I don't use the stuff for construction at all. There is just too much not to like about it.

I'm about to start a thread posting a link to some pages about wing construction. You may want to read them over to see how much time CA actually saves over Carpenter's glue.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Default Check out this stuff...

Hobby Lobby has a glue called Super Phatic. It is a water thin glue that soaks in like thin CA. It dries instead of setting so the bond is lighter than a CA bond. The bond is VERY strong and never gets brittle with age like a CA bond can. It isn't as fast as thin CA but there are NO health complications associated with it.

I'll still use CA, but VERY little!
Old 05-01-2003, 02:57 PM
CafeenMan

Gene - is this a glue you've used or simply one that you are aware of? If you've used it what do you think about it (reliability, stregth, etc.)?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Steve Lewin

I'm not Gene but I've used plenty of Superphatic. It's good strong glue which needs close fitting joints, just like thin CA. However it does not dry very fast in my experience. You still need to pin or otherwise hold parts together for maybe 10-15 minutes before it grabs at all. It's basically a very thin fast setting aliphatic.

Steve
Old 05-01-2003, 03:46 PM
CafeenMan

That's what it sounded like. I just sheeted a wing the other night with Titebond and it started setting up before I got all the glue on. I didn't have a syringe handy which would have sped things up.

Basically I would like a slower drying aliphatic if there is such a thing.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Originally posted by CafeenMan
Gene - is this a glue you've used or simply one that you are aware of? If you've used it what do you think about it (reliability, strength, etc.)?
Used...

I like Superphatic and Pica Glu-it for most of the construction on my models...both are excellent adhesives IMO. Sure they take a bit to dry...so! ...you get what you wait for...a solid joint that doesn't get brittle with age.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:17 PM
CafeenMan

Well Gene, like I keep saying, if you're waiting for glue to dry then you haven't managed your project properly. Anyone who has been using a slow-drying glue for a while knows what I'm talking about. When one thing is drying there's always something else you can work on. Anyone who stands there watching glue dry needs to get organized.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:20 PM
CafeenMan

PS. I didn't mean you, Gene. I just meant the generic anyone.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Steff

Default CA Glue

I am extremly allergic against CA, but the odorless CA works for me. Because it is expensive and I like testing I recently started to use Polyurethane glue. It is available everywhere, gets deep into the pores of wood and is very light. Use a small amount of odorless CA to get a fast instant joint, use the Poly for the rest and make sure the joint is real tight. You will have to wait until the glue is really cured and it foams. But you can always use your odorles CA if time is an issue or it is just a very small surface like the end of ribs for instance.

Try it. costs you a few bucks!

Steff