Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Skewed stab

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skewed stab

I just glued in the stab for a profile, messed it up and glued it off center to one side about 3/16 and its skewed since the wing tip to stab tips are identical length which would cause the skewing if it off center.

Any suggestions or just fly it as is ?
I was thinking if I could get a really thin hacksaw I could cut above and below the stab but dunno where I can get something like that.
What is really pissing me off is the fact that I checked it before but because there was a slant in the stab vertically and I spent some time sanding and fixing that I overlooked this final check when I glued it.

This profile is supposed to be pattern/3d capable.
very ticked off to say the least.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:57 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Skewed stab

G'day Mate,
Don't worry about it, it's not far enough off line to worry about.
It will be fine.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 PM
meaden

I'd fly it. See what it does. I don't think it's a big deal.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:02 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you happen to glue that in with epoxy? If you did, I'm willing to bet that it was accurate when you first put it together and measured, then the stab 'creeped' a bit while the epoxy was still wet. That's happened to me... I learned the hard way.

I agree with the others, fly it and see what it does. If it does need to be removed, and it's put in with epoxy, try using a heat gun on the joint.

Bob
Old 06-08-2008, 05:56 AM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

I used CA to glue it
what happened is because it was slanted, I had to use some masking tape from the fin to to hold it perpendicular to the fin whilst I glued it so it slipped a bit
Old 06-08-2008, 07:27 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you wouldn't want to use a heat gun on CA. I tried that once and the smoke was pretty vile, and probably dangerous... and it didn't do anything to loosen the joint.

Like the other guys said, fly it and see how it works. If it's only a sport model, it may not be worth the extra effort to dig this out and replace it. If you're doing competition or precision flying, that's another matter.

I had dig out a stab once because the main spar broke in the worst possible spot. The tail feathers were history, but easy to re-fabricate. I hogged out the center section of the stab, then had to file and fit the slot again to fit the new stab. I may have had to put in a 1/64" shim, I forget.

So, IMHO, unless you are doing a lot of precision flying, this may not be noticable at all. It's a lot easier than trying to make a repair unless you really need to.

Just my $.02

Bob