Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tips for better leading edges?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tips for better leading edges?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
h-ray-RCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for better leading edges?

Hi all,

Ok, I'll admit it. Forming (sanding, carving, etc) wood Leading Edges is my weak point as a builder and I'd like to get better.

Anyone got tips/secrets they'd like to share?

TIA,

Steve
Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 PM
digital_trucker

Default RE: Tips for better leading edges?

Don't know what to say beyond the standard razor plane/long t-bar method.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I start with the knife/razor/plane then go straight to my hand held electric sander using the mark one eyeball. When I get close I use A template made from A side view of the plans if I can get one from them. Then it's just hand sanding. Some kits [the Up-Roar] come with A template on the plans you cut out and glue onto scrap wood then cut out and use.
Good luck, it's A learning process.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:33 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

yeah.. I rough in the shape with a hand plane (old tradesman low angle block plane)
A razor plane will work too..

then I finish the shape with a block sander..

work longways with the grain.. not across the grain.
Working across the grain tends to gouge and makes for a wavy LE.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I carve, plane and then use a sanding fixture made from construction steel. The stuff that can be purchased at a hardware, looks like 2" stamped angle with lots of holes for bolting togeher. I use a couple of these about 12" long with different grits of sanding paper contact cemented to the inside. Make a template of the leading edge radius and use that to shape the radius of the sanding paper on the inside of the angle. I found using different sizes of small pvc pipe to wrap the sandpaper around, contatc cement the sandpaper and then insert into the inside of the angle steel. This creates a nice, even curve and then just sand away. Seems easier for me.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:21 AM
bkdavy

Another trick is to use a woodblock (pine works fine, and is cheap). Cut the leading edge shape into the wood block (a negative) and then glue a piecle of sandpaper into the wood block. After using the razor plane to cut the basic shape, use the wood block to sand it to final.

If you want to get really tricky, you can actually make a plane using steel in the shape of your leading edge. This is how carpenter of old would carve moldings. Same process.

Brad
Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
rwright142

Buy leading edge balsa stock?
If it is too big I strip off the flap "bottom" part until it fits the final sand.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:46 AM
CrateCruncher

I always mark a centerline with a mechanical pencil down the entire LE. I mark a lower line and an upper line parallel to that. I carve away the big stuff then use a sanding block with 100 grit to rough sand down to the upper and lower line. Then I change grit to 150 and shape down to the centerline. You'll get straighter LE's if you sand in strong contrasting light regardless of the method. During the day I stand outside under the edge of a porch. In the evening I stand under a strong porch light.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you either have to learn to sand them to shape or buy it already done for you. Before Lone Star Balsa burnt down I used to order A lot of wood from them. I do have some LE stock on hand but over the years it's still with me. I haven't ever built A plane that used the size I have on hand.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
mikegordon10

Check this out. I'll bet Tower sells 'em. http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr7030.html
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK325&P=7 , and it works well.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Whenever possible, I reshape the ribs, or cut my own, to accomodate a hardwood dowel, or a CF tube for the LE. I also usually substitute hardwood for the TE, since I don't have to slot them because I usually use sewn gapless hinges.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For accurate LE profiles I find that I must use a template. If it is a tapered wing I need 3, root, mid and tip.

Always mark the centreline of the le from root to tip with a straight edge and work to that. For tools I find a razor plane [ if you have not got one go and buy one TODAY!] and a couple of foot long blocks with 120 and 240 sand paper glued to them is all I need.