Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

After-run oil

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

After-run oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 PM
dschroeder
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After-run oil

I've heard about a mix of marvel mystery oil and transmission fluid for an after-run oil...i was just going to mix a quart of each together in a jug and use that. Any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: After-run oil

I am not sure about the mixture that you are describing, however if you mix up the amounts that you are talking about, you will have enough after run oil for 2 lifetimes. You can get after run oil from the hobby shop for about 3 dollars or you can use what I use, 3 in one oil, also about 3 dollars a can. I have had a can of this oil for years now and I still have about 50 per cent of the can left. You only need 3 or 4 drops in the carb and them prop it over a few times and you are good to go. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Actually what is better than the Marvel Mystery oil is their Air tool oil. Has some additives specifically meant to prevent corrosion in air tools and so also works with engines. Mix that 50-50 with transmission fluid and you should have a good mix.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any air tool oil or ATF (automatic transmission fluid) work very well as an after run oil all by themselves; all much better than Marvel Mystery Oil (Marvel Mystery Air tool oil is okay). Also, especially in 4 strokes, a drop or two is not enough to do any good. What need to be done is to coat (displace any residual fuel, especially if the fuel has a nitro content) by coating the bearing with the after run oil. In a 4 stroke, the only way to do this is to inject about a teaspoon full into the crankcase vent; putting it in the exhaust or carb will do little if any good.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 0w-30 The added benefit is you can use it in a YS engine also.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 0w-30 The added benefit is you can use it in a YS engine also.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:49 PM
PoormansACE

I wont argue the benifits of after run oil, but are yall talking for long term storage or what? I've run Morgans Omega in my regular flyers and just run the fuel out at the end of a session... thats it unless it will be moth-balled for a few months then I just break out the trusty WD-40 and give her a good dose. after all the WD dose stand for "water displacer"!

A good friend gave me an airplane, stored in this fashon, that he haden't folwn in at least 5 years. replaced the glowplug &The engine fired on the 1st flip, burning off most of the WD-40, ran a tank through to burn out any residue & get a reliable needle setting, & bobs 'ur uncle!

to each their own, But I cant Imagine ANY oil that dosent get gummy over time. So why not start off with something light?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 AM
jetmech05

I run my engines dry on the last flight of the day everytime. I used to use after run oil everytime....I used stuff from hobby shops, Marvel Mystery oil, transmisson fluid...
Bearings still rusted...then read somewhere that not all engines like mineral based oil...
now I just run em dry
Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: PoormansACE

I wont argue the benifits of after run oil, but are yall talking for long term storage or what? I've run Morgans Omega in my regular flyers and just run the fuel out at the end of a session... thats it unless it will be moth-balled for a few months then I just break out the trusty WD-40 and give her a good dose. after all the WD dose stand for "water displacer"!

A good friend gave me an airplane, stored in this fashon, that he haden't folwn in at least 5 years. replaced the glowplug &The engine fired on the 1st flip, burning off most of the WD-40, ran a tank through to burn out any residue & get a reliable needle setting, & bobs 'ur uncle!

to each their own, But I cant Imagine ANY oil that dosent get gummy over time. So why not start off with something light?
Beware of WD-40 in engines. While it is a water displacer, it is also a rust remover and, should there be the slightest trace of rust inside your engine (and there will be) you are now injecting a nice way to create an efficient grinding compound inside your engine (iron oxide) the next time you run it. Will wear out quickly. In short, WD-40 should be avoided in any engine or place where there is metal to metal contact.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 PM
PoormansACE

ORIGINAL: Rodney

ORIGINAL: PoormansACE

Beware of WD-40 in engines. While it is a water displacer, it is also a rust remover and, should there be the slightest trace of rust inside your engine (and there will be) you are now injecting a nice way to create an efficient grinding compound inside your engine (iron oxide) the next time you run it. Will wear out quickly. In short, WD-40 should be avoided in any engine or place where there is metal to metal contact.
If you have rust in a 2 stroke, its most likely in the bearings, and if your bearings are rusted, they are allready toast!
If your gonna own it, run it! nothing lasts forever any how, so run it till it pukes, oil it if you've got to store it, sell it if you think it's gonna sit forever and use the money to buy a new toy!