Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Latex Paint Question

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Latex Paint Question

Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 PM
eugene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latex Paint Question

Looking for a brighter silver coat for the new Pony... Have heard suggestions about using Behr Metallic Silver Latex from Home Depot.
Anyone with experience in actual use and application?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM
andrew66

Default RE: Latex Paint Question

the good things about latex paint is if you get paint chips, they can make almost any color. is it going on fiberglass? ive used it over coverall, and it fills the weave nicely, but requires a clear coat if using glow. its very nice stuff to work with. i just use a brush, and when it dries, the brush strokes go away. some people spray it on, but i have no experience doing this.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM
eugene

Yes, it will be going on a glassed and primed GS plane.. My concern, can the metallic silver latex be applied with a spray gun..
I have a GS that has been covered with Wal-Mart latex house paint.. cut 50-50 and sprayed with four thin coats....Works great, even covered with auto clear coat..
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM
andrew66

the best way to find out, would be to try it on scrap. everyone has different ways of thinning the paint, so i would make sure before possibly having to redo a paint job. make sure to post pics when ur done
Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 AM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used it on my Byron P-51 and I absolutely loved it. So much I'm going to do a TF GS P-51 with it. I used my old Miller spray gun. I thinned it 50-50 with distilled water. I used Rustoleum automobile primer as a base, the stuff you can pick up in Home Depot or Lowes. The nice thing about this paint is you can touch up spot and it blends in very well. I need to take some better outside pictures but here's one to show how this paint looks when finished. One thing is it gives a flat finish so if your looking for a shinny finish you may want to consider something else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40033.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1061422  
Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 AM
eugene

Thank you for the information......Especially the flat finish.....Not sure that's the tone I'm looking for. It certainly looks terrific on the Pony, so I may have to rethink my plan.... How about the drying time? , after detailing, I use auto clear coat to seal everything up...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 AM
ccostant

It dried to the touch pretty quick. Don't have an exact time but certainly dry to the touch in a few hours. This latex does not seem to stay tacky. I read in the past that latex needs a few weeks to cure but I don't think that is the case with this paint. Maybe with the auto clear you will get a more shiny finish.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

ccostant;

Your P-51 looks great; I have a Ready Cover Version TF GS P-51 that I am considering Glassing and painting, and like the looks of your Aluminum looking finish; I have read a bunch on using Latex, specifically Behr; what is the actual Behr Product number or Color title; also, did you spra/apply a clear coat over top of the Behr/Latex finish? and if so, what did you use; sorry for all the questions, any help would be appreciated.

Doug.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
ccostant

It's Behr Premium Plus, Metallic No. 743 Silver. I found it in Home Depot, in the faux paint section. It comes in a 32 oz plastic container. I think it was around $20. I did the entire plane with one container. I didn't spray any clear coat. Since it's gas it should be fuel proof. I think if you do a search on RCU, you'll find a couple of other threads about this paint.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:25 PM
eugene

Lots of help here....Thank you all...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Roby

Carl,

The 51 looks real nice. Did you get it into the air yet ?

Roby
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 AM
ccostant

No maiden flight yet, but it's ready to go. I just want to run the engine on the ground 1st to make sure there's no cooling issues. This summer was full of distractions. I think I made it to the field maybe 6-7 times. Spring time for sure. I'll drop you an email when I'm ready to go.

- Carl
Old 10-31-2008, 06:22 AM
Roby

Please do. It will be good to see ,and fly with you again.
I'll bring my SR.

Roby