Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Red Oracover Paint Match

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Red Oracover Paint Match

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:34 AM
roknHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Oracover Paint Match

I'm working on a plane covered with True Red Oracover..........I needed to paint some parts to match.........through trial and error, I now have Missile Red, Cherry Red, Safety Red and many more shades of Red that aren't even close.

The best match I've found is Ace Hardware's Premium Enamel Banner Red. Comes in a 12oz spray can for around $5 bucks.

Is it an exact match?............Looks good to me.............
Old 02-14-2009, 12:26 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Red Oracover Paint Match

the best way to get a match....is take a piece... oh, about 6" by 6" and iron it to a piece of balsa....

then take that piece to an auto paint store and have them match it.....

Remember the covering will have a slightly different color after ironing
Old 02-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Most good paint stores, including the big boxes have paint matching system. follow same advice as for auto motive.
Walt
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a older home with gray shingles that were faded. A contractor spilled tar down the side. I took a shingle to Lowe's Home Center and matched it with a color chip sample in their rack. A little teenaged girl mixed me up a quart. It matched perfectly the old paint.

There's no reason you cannot do this with your covering.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Radio South. They have Monokote and Ultracote(Oracover) colors premixed on the shelf.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: roknhs

I'm working on a plane covered with True Red Oracover..........I needed to paint some parts to match.........
This is exactly what stopped me in my tracks on my Four Star 60 build. I went to buy some Hangar 9 True Red paint and it had been discontinued. I searched worldwide on the internet and found some in Canada. They would not ship it to the USA because it was considered "hazardous".

I'm going to buy a can of that Ace hardware paint. Thanks! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-21-2009, 10:12 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had any luck buying the so-called "matching paint" for either Monocote or Ultracote. They just don't match! I mention this to other flyers and get the same response. Take a sample ironed onto balsa and get a custom mix. A few dollars more but woth it. I bought two cans of Hangar 9 Cub yellow and neither matched the Ultracote. I called Horizon and complained, so they sent me two new cans(spray) and those didn't match either, even when using their primer. So do yourself a big favor and get the local paint store to mix up a can.
cheers
Old 02-21-2009, 11:20 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Didja try this one? It's the Rustoleum professional high performance enamel in the silver rattle cans. Got it from True Value. It says Safety Red so I think you tried a different Safety Red than this one. I can vouch for how well it matches the red oracover on my BH T-28. The edge between the cowl and Oracover on the nose is hardly discernible...of course this is a pic, but in person, this is perfect to me, and I am anal, lol. Jon

Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoa!!! [X(]

Is that True Red on the T-28? man, that's a perfect match.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have two cans of the true red that matches just fine but I have run into the problem more then once. I'm lucky enough to have a very good Dupont paint store that matches paint and will put it into spray cans. Not cheap but they will do it.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
maukaonyx

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Whoa!!! [X(]

Is that True Red on the T-28? man, that's a perfect match.

All I know for sure is that the BH T-28 box cover says it is ORACOVER. Doesn't say which red, but this is like the bright red by Monokote as opposed to the darker red they also have. Hope that helps. Jon
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your willing to try latex ,matching colors is not a problem.

Take a color sample to Home Depot etc. and have them match it
with an exterior gloss or semi gloss base.

Been using latex for years, works great.

Regards,
Roby
Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Most covering doesn't match from roll to roll, it's my experience that Oracover was the worst is this area. I can understand why they discontinued the paint, they had no idea what roll to match.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oracover did not discontinue matching paints. http://buegelfolie.de/site.jsp?node_...93103808094160

Horizon discontinued Ultracote matching paints

Ultracote is Oracover but apparently there was a marketing decision involving total volume or hazmat problems? Maybe it was color matching like you say?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Jon,

This couldn't have been better timing for me. I was just getting to painting the red cowl and canopy for my recovered Strega. I bought LusterKote Missle Red, but that crap was more like a burnt orange than red. I went to Home Depot today and they had the Rustoleum on the shelf. I just shot the canopy with it and it looks great.

Thanks for posting this.

Chris

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

Didja try this one? It's the Rustoleum professional high performance enamel in the silver rattle cans. Got it from True Value. It says Safety Red so I think you tried a different Safety Red than this one. I can vouch for how well it matches the red oracover on my BH T-28. The edge between the cowl and Oracover on the nose is hardly discernible...of course this is a pic, but in person, this is perfect to me, and I am anal, lol. Jon
Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

I found the "banner red" to and seemed to match the true red with 2 coats but found when using 3 coats it got too dark.
Glad I ran into this post, thanks.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I second the paint from Radio South. It is PPG automotive paint, costs a bit, but worth it. I've sprayed a couple of cowls (well, the same one more than once) it it does match the Ultracote True Red perfectly. I use a clear coat ( a two part from Omni called AU, which I think is PPG's budget line) and it really makes the colors shine. Tough too.
Sam
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 PM
maukaonyx

Chris, I am glad you found the Rustoleum professional high performance enamel a great match too! Jon