Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Crisp edges on hatches?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Crisp edges on hatches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crisp edges on hatches?

Can anyone explain for me how they make really clean, crisp edges on hatches? I saw a fellow modelers (electric) F4D Skyray that had a radio compartment hatch that was almost invisible at the seperation line. Somehow after the cut he used filler and CA to build up the edge. He tried to explain it to me, but maybe I need to see it done visually to understand the technique. Do you know what I'm asking? Can you demonstrate it?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Crisp edges on hatches?

I do it to wing saddles and hatches all the time. You just have the plane finished and set up but still in the bones before you ever start covering or glassing. I use the thin food wrapping stuff, the clear type. I set it inside the hole where the servo is going then screw down the hatch. I moisten the wood with a bit of water then push in the filler with some pressure. The next day I remove the hatch and run a bit of thin CA along the filler to harden it and may lightly sand it. Form fitted hatch!! I also have to think about the covering in advance. I cover the wing first and have the area for the servo hatch covered and open, then I start to test fit the hatch and sand until it's a snug fit after covering. After you do it a time or two it gets very easy, just takes a bit of time. I hope that came out so you can understand it.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM
dhal22

that's a great idea for the servo hatch that's not fitting perfectly.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Tango Juliet

I'm still not entirely sure that I understand what you're saying. Can you post any photos for clarification?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:38 PM
KitBuilder

I tihnk he is putting a piece of saran type wrap over the hatch opening... then placing the hatch on top of it for a snug fit.... in the areas where the hatch does not meet tightly with the fuse he is adding filler. The saran type warp keeps filler in place and does not allow it to seep down into the fuse. When dry, take the hatch out and clean it up abit. The countours of the hatch should now match any irregularities in the mating fuselage sides, front and back. I like this idea.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

That's about it but the filler does flow into any gaps so you get a perfect fit. I can't show any photos because the hatches I just built and installed were a very good fit. I have a couple that I did but they are older planes with the covering on them and show nothing other then a good fitting hatch.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
frenchie79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a picture that may help you. I use Micro Ballons and fiberglass epoxy, easy to sand and lite. Put scrap monokote on the area you don't want the filler to stick to, in this case the wing. Then apply the filler to the area that you want to fill in this case the fuse wing saddle. Install the wing or hatch while filler is wet, let set up and pop it loose when dry. Sand area flush with fuse or hatch, remove scrap monokote and you have a very tight seam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70523.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1156803  
Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You use the same method that you use when making a wing saddle.
Saran wrap and brown (or white) micro balloons and 24 hour epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13297.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1156818