Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

WHAT TO DO AFTER THE PLANE IS PAINTED?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

WHAT TO DO AFTER THE PLANE IS PAINTED?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT TO DO AFTER THE PLANE IS PAINTED?

Hello expertens,

On some of my scale planes, after I ultracoted the plane and painted, using the iron is out of the question should I need to remove some wrinkles. The problem is when you use the heat gun, the seams pull away and in turns destroy the model. I have found the acrylic paint, clear Lustercoat and water slide decals can take the heat without any kind of deformation but not the UC. A few days ago, I had to strip and redo my Fokker DVII because the seams start to pull way. So what should I do in case like this? I hate to spend TONS of hours on the plane then have the fiasco like I did few days ago. How do you all handle in cases like this? DP
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WHAT TO DO AFTER THE PLANE IS PAINTED?

First, make sure your seams are VERY secure when covering the plane. BEFORE shrinking the covering, I go over ALL the seams with a trim iron set on hot.

Second, when shrinking (or reshrinking) the covering, put a wet cloth on the seam. This will reduce the amount of heat on the seam and minimize/eliminate any pulling apart.

FWIW - I have successfully reshrunk the covering on many occasions with the iron. The trick is to KEEP THE IRON OFF OF THE COVERING. I usually jack the heat on the iron up somewhat and keep the iron about 1/16" - 1/8" away from the covering. As with anything, this takes some practice, but it provides better control of the heat - the heat is only going to be in a small area compared to the heat gun which puts the heat over a larger area.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Quit using that plastic covering. Go to a fabric of some type. I myself use Stits Polyfiber . It is about the same cost per square foot. But it never wrinkles and adds a bunch of strength to your airframe.
You can find it at F&M enterprizes.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Quit using that plastic covering. Go to a fabric of some type. I myself use Stits Polyfiber . It is about the same cost per square foot. But it never wrinkles and adds a bunch of strength to your airframe.
You can find it at F&M enterprizes.
I would love to as these are my planes that I did in Solartex. However, with small scale (40"WS), fabric is too heavy. DP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56043.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1284086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84827.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1284087  
Old 11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

dai build them a we bit bigger your finish work is excellent .you wont ever get that look with monokote.I wish I could match your skill.