Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

2.4 Spektrum won't work with a gas engine

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

2.4 Spektrum won't work with a gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Matt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 Spektrum won't work with a gas engine

But i'm not on the 2.4 stuff....i'm using a 7cap 72mhz radio....
Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Wilki01

Oh, no big deal. 72mhz is more suseptable to ignition interference than 2.4, however the very same principals and techniques apply. Still I am not sure about the y-harness, as for the 7-cap you should have a free channel and it is a very easy radio to setup. I had one a long time ago, ok 3 years or so. Futaba also has some excellent info on their website as well, you may wish to check out...
Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Aerobatx

I've ordered an Opti-swithing unit from TBModels. It uses an open channel on your Rx to kill the engine from the radio, and to use any sizre battery for the whole plane, ignition and radio. It haselectrical board that is supposed to help with interference.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 AM
Aerobatx

Oh, and I'm putting a Zenoah G26ei into a Clipped wing Monocoup,and using an Airtronics DS8000 2.4 that NEVER been interfered with , ever.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Just for clarification....

Ferrite bead
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A ferrite bead is a passive electric component used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits. It is a specific type of electronic choke. Ferrite beads employ the mechanism of high dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite to build high frequency noise suppression devices. Ferrite beads may also be called ferrite cores, ferrite rings, ferrite EMI filters, a ferrite choke or mistakenly as ferrous beads.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:31 AM
TURBINATOR

Why no word from the originator of this thread?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been reading through this post, and it just makes me laugh. I'm just wondering, have any of you ever thought that the issues you guys are having are not the radios fault but are the users of the products fault. I have been using the 2.4 radios ever since they first introduced them to the public, and i have never had any of the problems you claim to have. I fly every thing from electrics all the way up to turbine powered airplanes and i have never had more trust in a system like i do with my JR 12X 2.4 RADIO. (Just my thoughts.) As for the original post it sounds as if you have a issue with the ignition system on the engine. I,d start blaming them first before i'd blame the
radio.

Greg Wright

Not a JR Rep/ But Would Love To Be One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48833.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1349076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53255.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1349077  
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM
aslan

ORIGINAL: TURBINATOR

Why no word from the originator of this thread?
Betcha he didn't earth the plug shield yet.....Greg makes a good point also......
Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I fly and have flown many 1/4 scale with Quadra engines (magneto spark) with regular PPM radios with never a glitch. I do make sure I have no metal to metal contacts that can rub or vibrate together and do use a non conductive throttle push rod. Have never had a need for any ferrite chokes or braided lines or anything else. Just make sure you have a good connection between the mag and spark plug and keep the radio and radio battery a few inches aft of the engine. As an electrical engineer, I have found that ferrite beads and chokes are mostly a waste of time, money and effort in curbing any interference caused by the way we use the servos, receivers and antenna. I have yet to see where performance varied with and without the added junk.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 PM
StevL

ORIGINAL: scrambow
I am having a heck of a time with an electronic ignition gas engine. I have the 2.4 Spectrum that will not work with this engine. I have one of the RVSC 26 engines from TroyBuilt models.
I buddy of mine at our field had the same problem with the same ga engine using a x9303 radio. It ended up that he didn't have a good enough ground on the spark plug cap. His fix was to use a metal hose clamp and tighten it around the spark plug cap, that ended his problem. Be sure to do a complete range check before flying it.

Best of luck!

Steve
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For troubleshooting noisy engine/ radio issues,Wrap the ignition lead with alum. foil. Ground the foil to the case. Acts like a noise suppressor. Usually will tell you if you have a bad ground or cap . I fly both mag and ign/bat systems. Never a problem with 2.4.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problems with a Fugi... turned out that the electronic ignition module went bad and I had to replace it. When the module was bad, the ignition battery acted like an antenna broadcasting inside the radio compartment of the plane causing a lot of aileron, elevator and rudder flutter... the shakes. A RF radio frequency interference problem. It is not the fault of the radio system if you are introducing this random outside noise... any radio will fail.

Start by moving the battery outside and in front of the firewall... make sure you do not have any other servo wiring bound together with the power wiring for the ignition. You want to be using a non-metalic push rod from the throttle servo to the carb linkage. The farther forward the throttle servo is mounted (and away from any other radio equipment servos) the better. The ignition cap has to be tight on the plug... this is a MAJOR source of RF if not properly done. Try to isolate the ignition wiring from all other control wiring.

Mostly, it sounds like a bad ignition module, but you need to improve the cheap fixes first. I used a C&H ignition module to replace mine. The C&H has a braided grounded wire ignition wire that helps isolate any RF. You have to be prepared to set the timing properly when you change module brands.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Matt

What about the choke control. I rather have mine manual instead of on a servo. (save weight as well) Do you still want a plastic connector of some type on the engine side? And i see that people are just using a 2/56 metal rod to control it with.
***What's everybodies view on that?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Eganwp

Check that your spark plug cap is actually on the plug properly! It sounds like you're just getting interference because the boot isn't actually snapped onto the plug and thus not insulated at all. Seen this numerous times before. You gotta push hard!

Good idea on the ferrite rings. I might toss one on my throttle wire as well as it'll clean up the signal, even if not physically noticable.

One last thing to remember when it comes to basic interference is to keep your wires twised!!! This is basic electronics, and hence why all cables are twisted; it doesn't allow for much induction of stray signals. They say 1 twist every 6" is enough, but I generally keep my all twisted tight as it looks cleaner.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Have you checked the receiver battery under load???
During my 34 years flying R/C I have noticed that when people have trouble with their radio systems there is a bad cell in their battery pack! Check the battery under load so that it delivers at least 5V...Each cell should deliver 1,25V. If any cell is under 1V ...just trash the complete pack!!!
Over here in Sweden it's very common pilots have a volt watch in each of their plane for safety measures. It's also good to have multimeter at home to check the each battery cell under load.
A four cell pack is ok o use in all radios (even Spektrum and JR 2,4GHz) as long as the batteries you use can deliver enough power.

The new NiMH cells that are (ie. Powerbase "Inztantant", "Recyko" from GP etc ) that can hold their capacity longer can be a problem because these cells have problem deliver enough punch to drive strong digital (or even analog servos).
A much better power source is the high energy cells that for instance GP make (Red variety).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24535.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1350092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80333.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1350093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61281.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1350094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59611.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1350095  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Matt

what the heck is that thing that you have pictured there? Is that for checking your batteries under load??