Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Motor mount hole locator helper

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Motor mount hole locator helper

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount hole locator helper

This is something I came upon today. It's for an electric bird but I know you sometimes have to build a box mount to extend you engines out too, so it may work for you.
I'm holding the mount on a nice slippery glassed firewall, trying to mark the hole locations for the mount bolts. Well that didn't go so well. With the plane in a cradle, it would slip all over the place while I was trying to hold the mount with one hand and mark with the other.

Well after a half dozen or so tries. I sat down the mount and started thinking of how I could do this. Took the wing off, and tried holding the bird between my knees and again the mount would just slide all over the place as I tried to square it on the crosshairs and mark the holes at the same time.

"Now what?" I say to myself as I look at the mount and the firewall. Hmmmmm, there's already a center hole in both the firewall and the mount. BINGO!!!!!!

I go over to my hardward cabinet and dig out a toggle bolt, you know the bolt with a nut on it that has a pair of spring loaded wings on it.

Unscrew the nut, insert the bolt through the mount, reinstall the nut and shove it home thru the hole in the firewall. Tighten up the bolt enough to snug the mount, line up the crosshairs on the firewall and tighten down the bolt.

Rock solid and not moving now. Take my drill and mark each hole, no need to try and use a marker or center punch as I already have the mount acting as a guide.
Unbolt everything and finish drilling the holes.

Son of a gun a perfect fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71899.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1313777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67293.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1313778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70881.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1313779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80820.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1313780  
Old 11-13-2009, 08:14 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Motor mount hole locator helper

Another really cool tool for getting your holes lined up and drilled is the Great Planes dead center tool. Life is so much nicer with this tool. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor mount hole locator helper

Mark and drill one hole first. Screw the mount in place then do the others.

Ed S