Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Dubro hinge install with pva glue

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dubro hinge install with pva glue

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 PM
madtrev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dubro hinge install with pva glue

I was wondering if anyone installs their dubro pinned hinges with pva glue. I tried it in 2 peices of scrap and it seems to work fine. I dont have a local hobby store so I'm limited to what the local hardware store has and I have been using "aquadeere" pva glue to build and repair with.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dubro hinge install with pva glue

Hi Trev,

I would suggest that you don't use PVA for the hinges as most brands are not waterproof and may deteriorate with time and humidity when in an exposed situation like hinges. It's great for building and repairs where it is isolated by the covering and the structure of the model.
FWIW I use epoxy for Dubro pinned hinges, Robart hinge points and Klett/Haynes type hinges. Just key the surface with sandpaper and use a "Popper" straw with about 7 to 10mm of epoxy in the tube, flatten the end and insert in the slot, then run the straw between thum and forefinger to force the glue into the slot like you are getting the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube. Once the epoxy is in the slot insert the hinge, having made sure that the hinge is full of oil/wax/melted vasoline etc to prevent the epoxy stopping it from moving freely. Wipe of the excess with a rag moistened with metho and your "good to go" when it drys.

Happy New Year,

Colin
Old 12-31-2009, 01:52 AM
The Ghost

Trev, been doing the same thing for years, works well with the pin hinges, I have a 1/8" spike that I use to make the holes(came with Byron F16), squirt some glue in the hole and push the pin in and then dry(overnight) then glue the surface on. Never had any problem with humidity or the fact that they are not waterproof, as I don't fly in the rain. Started using PVA in the mid 60's on control line and still use it today to build with.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2009, 02:05 AM
w5kfg
My Feedback: (1)

I use mylar hinges cut from old 3.5" floppy disk.
use very little white Gorilla glue on the hinges.
I have yet had one to fail.
This procedure works extreamly well on foam planes
Bill B
Old 12-31-2009, 04:55 AM
madtrev

Thanks for the help , I'm glad to know it works long term. (it'll probably work longer term than my planes genrally last) Being a single pack glue means less mucking around too which is a bonus.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:32 AM
ppkk

I am sure PVA would work fine, but if you have yellow wood glue (aliphatic resin) around why don't you use that instead. If my understanding is correct, aliphatic resin is similar to PVA but stronger with better resistance to moisture.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Check your hardware store for Titebond II it's waterproof. A lot of PVA manufactures will have their regular and a waterproof version.

Mike
Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trev.....

Pva will work though here is my method as seen below:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#7976350

Another idea I suppose, but it works well with most any glue that does not get brittle.

Cheers to all !
Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 PM
buz2au

Trev, use 'Selleys aquadhere - EXTERIOR', it is weather resistant, not proof, but it is good stuff if used correctly, I use it for every thing except for joining wings, I use 5 minute Araldite for that.