Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Switching from Futaba

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Switching from Futaba

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from Futaba

I guess this is the correct place to post this as it is a tip as well as a statement....
I started the hobby with a Futaba sky sport 4.....bought the 9 cap as my second radio....my daughter learned on my sky sport then we got her a 7 cap....so its always been Futaba with us.....
Now it's finally time to switch to 2.4.....I was going to get a Futaba 10 for me.....because of the interchangeable module with the 9 cap....but you can't get that radio anymore...it's now intergrated 2.4.... no module...ok I still like the 10. for my daughter I was going to get a Futaba 8.....
But you can only use 2 receivers with these 2 radios one is a 100 bucks the other is 200 bucks......
I did some more research.....With JR any JR Spectrum ( same company) receiver will work.....the transmitter is cheaper Model match is outstanding......I do hate the analog trim on throttle...but at 100 or 200 bucks a pop for a Futaba receiver I'll live with it.....looks like it's going to be 2 9503's for us....if you know me don't tell the youngin she doesn't know yet
Good Flyin to all
Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 AM
telejojo

Default RE: Switching from Futaba

The only reciever cheaper for Spectrum or JR is the 6 channel which is 50.00 the 7 is 100.00 same as Futaba.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Do they have any 9503's at the shop yet? I wanna see whats different between that and my 9303.

I flew a 9C on everything for years, the analog trim takes some getting used to but I like it now.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I hated digital trim on throttle. Analog is much easier and faster than digital.

Welcome to the dark side. I started with Futaba over 30 years ago and switched to JR a few years later. I've never regretted the switch.

I don't think there is a "bad" radio out now, they all function well.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

But you can only use 2 receivers with these 2 radios one is a 100 bucks the other is 200 bucks......
Not sure where you got that information but it is incorrect. There are a number of Futaba receivers available that work with the 10CG.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

I have a Futaba 2.4 7C and ran into the same problem. Only receiver I could use was 7 channel and cost $100. I don't mind paying that if I need 7 channels, but I have a few sport planes that I'd rather have 4 or 5 channel receivers in that should cost around $50. I think Futaba is making a mistake not offering more receivers. Last year I personally told two people about the cost of Futaba receivers and they ended up going with a different brand.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM
jetmech05

KBob Off of the Fataba web site for the 10 cg 2.4
Andy no not yet...not available until 3/10/10......the diff between the 9303 and the 9503 is this....back lit screen, 50 model memory, and timer on throttle.....the 9303 is not available on the horizon web site for us......don't tell ash yet ...I want to surprise her......
Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

Not sure where you got that information but it is incorrect. There are a number of Futaba receivers available that work with the 10CG.
IIRC, all of the Futaba FASST receivers work with the 8FG and above transmitters. Those transmitters support both the 7 channel and below mode and what they call the multi mode for 8 channel and higher receivers. For example, I am using both 617FS and 6008HS receivers with my 8FG transmitter. All you need to do is tell the system which receiver you are using with a plane when you set it up, then bind to the receiver. I have both the 7C and 8FG systems and love them. Note that you can not use the 6008HS receiver with the 7C transmitter but why would you want to when it costs about $40 more?

Bruce