Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Sheeting Foam Wings with ordinary brown paper.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Sheeting Foam Wings with ordinary brown paper.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:51 PM
edulago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheeting Foam Wings with ordinary brown paper.

Hi everybody,

I read some posts on the internet about people using ordinary brown paper and white glue or some kind of resin to sheeting foam wings. Did anyone here try this method of sheeting foam wings?

I'm designing my own DLG glider and I would like to know if it is a good and light method to sheet wings.

If someone has pictures or videos about the process, they are welcome!!!

Best Regards

Eduardo
Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sheeting Foam Wings with ordinary brown paper.

Somewhere around here I have a well written book, by an Englishman, that details his work in that area. He built some amazing gliders with foam and brown paper. Hope I can find it tomorrow. If so, I'll post the name and author Rich
Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Lnewqban

Check these articles out:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...ersheeting.htm

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_n8871174/
Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM
mintie

Yes I have ..about 15 years ago a friend and I built 5 planes all with foam fuse and wings and covered with brown paper...we had a couple of 40 size and a 60 size in the fleet and the sysem worked a treat...It turned out light and strong and all planes flew really well. after the finishing was done you would not know the difference to any other covering.
We used thinned white glue and just the ordinary rapping brown paper. Remember you can get different weights of paper.
A guy by the name of chris Gold in the UK has used this system on a lot of his models.....cheers
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
roltech

A friend of mine thaught me to use news paper with white glue. works good, but there is a grain to the paper and must be used with the grain in the right direction.
roltech
Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you tell which direction the grain is in the paper?

Jim
ORIGINAL: roltech

A friend of mine thaught me to use news paper with white glue. works good, but there is a grain to the paper and must be used with the grain in the right direction.
roltech
Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 AM
airbusdrvr

Tear it. The tear will continue in a relatively straight line along the grain but will not against the grain.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:04 AM
KitBuilder

I was reading an old RCM the other day from my stash and some used very lighweight cardboard over foam with good success as well.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

By all means give it a try but I think you are going to run into serious wing warping problems because the shrinkage with brown paper is considerable.

I have built a number of 36 inch span 12th scale combat models with brown paper covering and the wing warps were easy to get out. When I went up to a high aspect ratio TA 152 at 48 inch span getting a true wing was next to impossible and I finished up glassing direct to blue foam and had success.

Assuming your DLG is in the region of 50 to 60 inch span and high aspect ratio then glass it rather than use brown paper.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Bundubasher

ORIGINAL: edulago

Hi everybody,

I read some posts on the internet about people using ordinary brown paper and white glue or some kind of resin to sheeting foam wings. Did anyone here try this method of sheeting foam wings?

I'm designing my own DLG glider and I would like to know if it is a good and light method to sheet wings.

If someone has pictures or videos about the process, they are welcome!!!

Best Regards

Eduardo
Some years ago we've built "Sticks" out of double flute cardboard and covered the foam core wings with a thin paper ("gloryboard") - sometimes we got the large posters from liquor stores - of brandy, rum or whisky - they are thin, strongand have a shiny finish, so no need to paint it, just a thin layer coat of clearcoat and you have a flying advert......
They were60 sizeglow engine"Sticks" - were heavier than your balsa built ones but it flew OK, the advantage wasthat you could make a couple of fuses and wings. But the leading edge/trailing edge and aileronswere balsa on both wing, tailplane and fin.
Going for brown paper will just cause problems as you still need to re-inforce the wing, then coat it with your paper... I guess it all depends on the wingspan and the design of the plane......
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
edulago

Hi Everybody.

thanks for all comments... I will think more about using ordinary paper... If I decide to use, I will post the results here...

Best Regards