RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   worldtex covering???? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/1069930-worldtex-covering.html)

rodonets 08-19-2003 04:36 PM

worldtex covering????

i need some advice on covering a balsa usa 1/4 cub i want to use a fabric covering to cover the model and after much research i am leaning toward using worldtex covering that is pre-painted. as i understand all i have to do is iron it down the same way you iron down film covering. after this you have to clear coat it. any sugestions on which products to use that would work well with the world tex covering, also can anyone tell me how many rolls i am going to need.

BigBird1 08-19-2003 06:15 PM

worldtex covering????

Depends on which way you want to cover the wings...
Lengthwise...4 rolls
If you split it with the covering running from leading edge to trailing edge on two sections, 1 1/2 rolls if I remember right.

Another two rolls for the fuse and tail group if you are careful and save scraps...

I loved the WorldTex....just make sure that you have enough overlap at the seams and be careful with the heat gun on the seams or they will pull loose when shrinking in that area..

I didn't put on a clear coat but if the fuel stains it rub with WD40 and wash with soap and water.

Balsa USA has the long rolls...in Cub Yellow...

Rodney 08-19-2003 07:45 PM

worldtex covering????

Worldtex (also Colortex and Solartex are the same item) does have a grain and will shrink more in one direction than the other. Fof best results, you must have the long length of the roll of covering go in the direction of the wing span.

bighawg 08-20-2003 12:50 PM

worldtex covering????

I USED WORLDTEX ON 2 MODELS. ONE WAS A SMOOTHIE I DECKED OUT LIKE A SPITFIRE. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, RUSTOLEUM PAINT IS WHAT I USED TO PAINT THE SILVER UNDERSIDE AND THE CAMO PATTERN ON TOP. THE WORLDTEX ITSELF WAS OLIVE DRAB GREEN. I USED ROUNDELS MADE FROM MONOCOAT, BUT AFTER DOING THAT, I DON'T RECCOMEND IT TO ANYONE ELSE. THEY JUST WON'T STAY STUCK DOWN TO THE FABRIC. I FINISHED WITH A COAT OF CLEAR RUSTOLEUM AND THE PLANE WAS FLOWN FOR 3 YEARS WITH NO MAJOR PAINT DETERIORATION. PACTRA PAINT IS AN ALTERNATIVE. I ALSO SCRATCH BUILT AN LAZY ACE BIPLANE AND USED WORLDTEX'S ANTIQUE CLOTH COVERING. YOU CAN KINDA SEE THROUGH IT LIKE THE OLD TIMER PLANES....I WANTED TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE DETAIL OF THE "BONES"..........I JUST CLEAR-COATED IT, AGAIN USING RUSTOLEUM.........GOOD LUCK!
OH YEAH, MAKE SURE YOU THIN CA ALL OF THE SEAMS WHEN YOU ARE DONE. THIS INSURES THEY WILL NOT PEEL UP ON YOU. AND USE BALSARITE FOR FABRIC ON THE AIRFRAME BEFORE YOU START COVERING. GOOD LUCK!

MinnFlyer 08-20-2003 04:52 PM

worldtex covering????

Bighawg, What are you yelling about?

bighawg 08-20-2003 05:16 PM

worldtex covering????

My bad...I used all caps, didn't I? : )

rodonets 08-20-2003 05:22 PM

auto paint

has anyone experimented with auto paint before. how were the results