RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Problems with LusterKote Paint (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/1081199-problems-lusterkote-paint.html)

wolff2000 08-23-2003 03:26 AM

Problems with LusterKote Paint

I'm using a can of lusterkote spray paint and when I try to paint something some solid particles come out of the can. The finish looks like I painted it in a super dusty place but it's not dust. It's crud coming out of the can. Has anyone ever had this experience with lusterkote?
It's a total mess. Did I not shake the can enough? I shook it for about 90 seconds!
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Steve Guinn 08-23-2003 06:08 AM

I would guess it is a defective or old can of paint.

outssider 08-23-2003 04:56 PM

i've had this happen also....can is bad

woodbutcher 08-25-2003 10:37 AM

I've never had this problem with Lustrecoat, but this is what I do.

Pull the spray head and soak in thinner.
Turn can upside down when shaking
Warm can in water to 110+- degrees
Shake can again
Fully depress the head when spraying

Good luck

ilikeplanes 08-25-2003 06:00 PM

I also had this happen. The can was half full and about one year old. It worked properly when new. I guess it just went bad. I always spray onto piece of paper or cardboard now to test the paint.

It's amazing how many ways LustreKote can go wrong and how few ways it can go right.

wolff2000 08-26-2003 09:10 AM

Can anyone recommend a spray paint that works well and matches monocoat. Would anyone like to comment on the paint that goes with UltraCoat?
Thanks for all the comments!
J

NitroWoman 08-26-2003 05:46 PM

It's The Cans

I have never had a good paint job with Lustrekote out of the can. I turn mine upside down and let all the propellant out, then puncture the can and drain all the paint into a jar. Then I use my good airbrush or touch up gun. No further thinning is required. This has given me excellent results. Lustrekote is good stuff, but their cans suck. Wish I could buy it in bottles instead of cans. :)

ilikeplanes 08-27-2003 05:58 PM

Is there a source for high quality atomizing nozzles? Maybe a new nozzle would help.

Steve Guinn 08-27-2003 06:54 PM

" Nozzles-R-Us "

Sorry....couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Mach1Latus 09-03-2003 04:02 PM

Wolff2000

The Cheveron Perfect paint system has Monokote matched paint. Here is a link to their web site. Tower also sells cheveron, but I don't know if the stock the Monokte colors.

Cheveron Paint

Stephen

ianober 09-05-2003 03:29 AM

Just be careful with Chevrons clear coats, they yellow pretty bad. Have some on my Topr FLite P-40 and against the gray bottom background you can really tell.

Steve Guinn 09-05-2003 03:33 AM

Keep the dog out of the hanger. :D

TOYMAKER 09-08-2003 02:25 PM

RE: Problems with LusterKote Paint

Good ole Lustkote.

As stated before... and I just finished a project this weekend. Gotta have fresh paint... the older the worse the spatter. Heat can in hot water and shake till your blue in the face. keep nozzles in thinner and change often. Make sure the top of your finger is not over to far on the nozzle. The overspary will collect and drop back into the stream giving the effect of globs in the paint BTDT.

I spoke with the guys that sell the monokote brand and they told me they where working on a new nozzle. But that was nearly a year ago so go figure.

The best paint out of spray can is the Century 21 paint. It has an adjust nozzle that will change the spray fan vertical or horizontal. It mist it REAL smooth too. Too bad the colors dont match Monokote. I use the primer and white.

You can color sand Lusterkote with 800 wet paper to get the edges off the masking and whatever orange peel you get. Being carefull not to go through the color and then clearcoat with automotive clear. I have the painter here at the dealership shoot it with clear when it has all the colors on and prepped.

If you dont want to clear coat then you can hand rub it after colorsanding with a good compound and wax it with a good sealer wax.

Wayne G.