RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Removing Robart hinge points question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11061545-removing-robart-hinge-points-question.html)

kenh3497 04-29-2012 02:09 PM

Removing Robart hinge points question

I think I read someplace her somebody used a sharpened brass tube to remove Robart hinge points. Is this correct? I have a new/rebuilt, never flown plane and found a broken aileron hinge.

I'm guessing cut the remaining three hinges at the joint, "drill" out the hinge halves, fill the offending hole with "something", not sure with what yet and reinstall new hinges.

Does this sound like the way to do it?

Thanks!!

Ken

FLAPHappy 04-29-2012 04:10 PM

RE: Removing Robart hinge points question

If it were me, I would cutall of the hinge points. Cut them off flush, then sand smooth. Reinstall new hinge points away from the existing hinges.

aussiesteve 04-29-2012 10:34 PM

Flaphappy is right If the wing has enough material to place the hinges in new locations.

Some airframes only have small blocks for the hinges, if that is the case, Cut the hinges, get some brass tube or Stainless tube of the right diameter, cut some "Slots" on the end and file some "Teeth" on it so it is now like a long holesaw and run it over the existing hinge to remove it. If possible get the next size up in hinge to install (assuming the plane doesn't already have the largest size) and drill to suit those.

If you wish to "fill" the hole with something, Epoxying in a piece of Dowel works well in most cases.

kenh3497 04-30-2012 09:03 AM

When I built the wing I put in smallish (1/2 X 1/2) blocks for the hinge points. I'll have to use the old holes again so I'll need to fill the holes and re-drill in the same spot. I found some hard balsa formerly used for push rods to use as filler. I don't think it will be a bad job once started. It's just the idea of cutting up a new plane for repairs[:@]

Ken

aussiesteve 04-30-2012 02:41 PM

Which sized hinge points did you use?
There are a few different sizes so you may not need to fill the holes.

[link]http://www.robart.com/store/control-hinges[/link]

Warbird Man 04-30-2012 04:10 PM

One could drill out the hinge and glue in a wood dowel to fill in the hole then re-drill to correct size for the hinge point. There is an available drill centering jig just for those.

kenh3497 04-30-2012 06:02 PM

Old points are out waiting for the glue on the plugs to dry.

see here; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#11063350

pkoury 05-08-2012 01:34 PM

To late for this but if the hinges were epoxied in they can be removed whole by heating the epoxy. I have used monokote irons on each side of the surface to heat the epoxy and once I used the heat gun. The heat will turn the epoxy back into a liquid.

wannabflyboy 05-16-2012 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

If it were me, I would cut all of the hinge points. Cut them off flush, then sand smooth. Reinstall new hinge points away from the existing hinges.

I second this. I tried all the methods I read about and didn't have much luck. Easiest way for me was to relocate the new ones. I was recovering anyway so I was able to hide the old holes.

Radical Departure 05-16-2012 01:34 PM

"...I'll have to use the old holes again so I'll need to fill the holes and re-drill in the same spot. "

ORIGINAL: Warbird Man
One could drill out the hinge and glue in a wood dowel to fill in the hole then re-drill to correct size for the hinge point. There is an available drill centering jig just for those.
In that case what Warbird suggest will work. I've had to do this on large planes and it works just fine. One thing tho.. be careful when drilling the hinge out, when done right it should slip right out toward you when you extract the brass 'bit'. If you push too hard drilling it out you'll end up dropping the hinge into the area, (rudder, alieron, whatever), and there won't be anyway to get it out unless you remove covering... the voice of experience.. :)

aussiesteve 05-16-2012 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Radical Departure

One thing tho.. be careful when drilling the hinge out, when done right it should slip right out toward you when you extract the brass 'bit'. If you push too hard drilling it out you'll end up dropping the hinge into the area, (rudder, alieron, whatever), and there won't be anyway to get it out unless you remove covering... the voice of experience.. :)

Isn't that what CA is for? - when ya drop a hinge in the wing, ya put in a bit of CA after it and shake it around to stick it in the wing so it doesn't rattle around any more. (Just make sure you drop one in the other side to maintain lateral balance) :D