RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Throttle pushrod on Magnum 52 4stroke (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11122844-throttle-pushrod-magnum-52-4stroke.html)

KitBuilder 06-18-2012 02:45 PM

Throttle pushrod on Magnum 52 4stroke

The darn throttle arm is directly behind the motor just a tad off to left of center. To far off from the side of the mount for a doulbe arm setup. cannot access from behind through the firewall due to tank in way. U shape rod will be to large a U shape to be effective w/out bending. I'm stuck. I dont want ot use ball links as i've have them vibrate off before which is not a good thing.

Live Wire 06-18-2012 03:02 PM

RE: Throttle pushrod on Magnum 52 4stroke

You run your linkage to a arm on the side of your motor mount then back to you throttle arm, it is a relay linkage.
Larry k

jknox 06-18-2012 06:44 PM

I use the Du-Bro 4 Stroke Throttle Linkages on all my 4 strokes now. They do have a ball link, but I've found them reliable. I had to bow the rod on one of my models from the firewall to the link, but it works beautifully.

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/f...MG_3699-AT.jpg

A6TEXAN 06-19-2012 02:22 PM

you can also rotate the carb on most magnum 4 strokes. most times this will move the arm far enough to the side to clear the tank.

KitBuilder 06-19-2012 07:47 PM

I'll look into rotating the carb.. didnt know that could be done.. I have used the dubro relay arm deal but wont work in this case. Arm is direclty behind the motor.. way to far of of line with the beam of the mount on which the secondary arm mounts.

oldtyme 06-20-2012 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

I'll look into rotating the carb.. didnt know that could be done.. I have used the dubro relay arm deal but wont work in this case. Arm is direclty behind the motor.. way to far of of line with the beam of the mount on which the secondary arm mounts.
KitBuilder,

I had the same problem with this engine in my Sig 4*40 but I made the Dubro relay arm work. It's late here but I'll try to get a picture of the setup in the morning and post it. It took a little figuring but I got it to work very well.
Cheers,
Andy

KitBuilder 06-21-2012 06:47 PM

Oldtyme.... I would appreciate the pic.. .I'm in a holding pattern on this at the moment hoping I get an epiphany on how to get this to work. I'm a bit fussy on my throttle setups liking to have finite control over the entire range.

oldtyme 06-21-2012 11:03 PM

Oldtyme.... I would appreciate the pic.. .I'm in a holding pattern on this at the moment hoping I get an epiphany on how to get this to work. I'm a bit fussy on my throttle setups liking to have finite control over the entire range.

KitBuilder............sorry for the delay.........was busier than a cat covering crap in a windstorm today........in the morning, I will take pictures and post them............again............sorry.

Andy

scale only 4 me 06-22-2012 02:45 AM

I typically make a double dog leg push rod to a Z-bend at the carb,, then use a good ez connector at the servo.

Basically you come out the firewall, 90 degree bend, then another 90 bend to the carb connection,, all the adjustment is at the servo. that set up has worked well for me in several airplanes. If you really need a pic I can pull the cowl off my kingfisher, I need to redo the fuel lines anyway

good luck

KitBuilder 06-22-2012 08:59 AM

I undersand what your saying.. but I think the distance between my 90 degree bends will be to great causing a bit of flex. I;ll play with a couple options tonight and see how it goes. I dont know if Iwould trust an ez connector on anything glow due to vibration, but thats just me. I've get them all over on my electrics

scale only 4 me 06-22-2012 10:39 AM

It's worked for me for years,, on several models,, the carb has almost zero strain on the wire. It's only going to bend or flex if your ATV is mis-adjusted.

What kind of plane are we talking about here?

prgonzalez 06-22-2012 10:50 AM

I have stopped using solid rods for throttle, instead, I use flex wires and I can route the link as needed to avoid obstacles like tanks ans whatever. The pic from jknox is great. I would just change the solid rod for flex cable.

oldtyme 06-22-2012 11:46 AM

KitBuilder,

Photos are in progress. I had trouble with my camera and software so my wife, who is an excellent photographer took the pictures and is working on them now. I will post them shortly and if you wish you can email me at [email protected] and I will email them to you as well. I didn't forget you and have been frustrated at the problems I've been having this morning. My wife can also put them in a pdf if that will work as well.

Andy

oldtyme 06-22-2012 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK KitBuider............here ya go!! I used the DuBro 4-stroke linkage kit and this setup works quite well.

Regards,
Andy

jester_s1 06-25-2012 04:35 AM

I have the same engine and I used a thin piece of music wire in an antenna tube, essentially making a flex wire connection. It doesn't take any torque to operate the throttle, so the flexible connection works fine.

KitBuilder 06-25-2012 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info... Oldyme.. I've always been wary of those ez-links on high vibration setups. I've got them in my electrics only at this point. I'm working through it all.... .. my arm at WOT is right against the firewall and I switched to a more flexible connection that l'll support along the way. I've got the tank in place and once this is done the construction is over and it's on to covering.

My baby!

oldtyme 06-25-2012 01:24 PM

Thanks for the info... Oldyme.. I've always been wary of those ez-links on high vibration setups. I've got them in my electrics only at this point. I'm working through it all.... .. my arm at WOT is right against the firewall and I switched to a more flexible connection that l'll support along the way. I've got the tank in place and once this is done the construction is over and it's on to covering.

My baby!
KitBuilder,

I've been using EZ links for over 30 years and have never had a problem on any of my glow applications. I don't do electric.........real planes make noise. Is that a Balsa USA Sopwith Pup.............if so that is what I have on the shelf and I'm using the same engine on it as on the 4* that is pictured.

Cheers,
Andy

biam 07-15-2012 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I typically make a double dog leg push rod to a Z-bend at the carb,, then use a good ez connector at the servo.

Basically you come out the firewall, 90 degree bend, then another 90 bend to the carb connection,, all the adjustment is at the servo. that set up has worked well for me in several airplanes. If you really need a pic I can pull the cowl off my kingfisher, I need to redo the fuel lines anyway

good luck
This is exactly what I do also. Have this method on a four star .40 and a super sportster, very reliable so far.[8D]

KitBuilder 07-16-2012 07:39 PM

What size wire....and what is the length of wire between the two dog legs. it seems there would be to much bend for accurate throttle repsonse?

acdii 07-18-2012 08:14 AM

Use throttle cable instead.  It's all I use now for the 4 strokes, you can run it around the tank, and have it come out right at the throttle. The key is to make the hole for the tube oval and only glue it at the back side of the firewall so it can flex with the throttle arm.   I tried using solid wire pushrods, but they just dont work well.<div>
</div><div> Check out the electric to glow T-34, I have some pics in there of the setup.   </div>

scale only 4 me 07-18-2012 12:40 PM

What size wire....and what is the length of wire between the two dog legs. it seems there would be to much bend for accurate throttle repsonse?
I guess it's an acquired taste like Avocados,, they look terrible and you're sure they'll taste awful when you're a kid, but after you've tried a few as an adult you can't get enough.

I have a 1.25mm (sae??) piano wire in a sleeve made from the inner yellow nyrod, this has worked the arm of a ys120 for over 15 years on my kingifsher, just no way a cable would work where the throttle are is located. Sorry, you had your chance for me to take a picture,, it's all back together now.

KitBuilder 07-18-2012 12:59 PM

No worries on the pic.. i understand how it would look and work. I have tried U bends and other assorted things with no luck in what I wanted to accomplish which is probably my execution of the idea.

scale only 4 me 07-19-2012 06:47 AM

Looking at the picture of the plane, it would seam you have a lot of fuse to work with, have you tried off setting the tank and flipping the carb around to get the arm to the left side of the engine? that typically can give you more room to work with alone

Is the motor mounted inverted?

acdii 07-21-2012 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dont know if this helps or not, but my throttle cable setup on my T-34. Isnaked it around the tank, using a Dubro tank that sets the pug back from the front for a little more clearance.