RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Need a Good Spray Gun (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11213038-need-good-spray-gun.html)

PatrickCurry 09-09-2012 07:25 AM

RE: Need a Good Spray Gun

Really?  Have you ever purchased anything online?  I digress.  I apologize for trying to add anything to the conversation.

ARUP 09-11-2012 04:10 AM

I use a Badger Model 400 touch up gun and Prime Air Model 2500 set at 30psi to the gun. They are over 10 years old. After trial and error the gun is set perfectly for 50/50 dope/ thinner mix. The downside is that the gun's paint cup is small and the compressor cycles a lot for bigger projects like what you want to paint. Since I'm never in a hurry I'm very happy with adding paint mix and waiting for compressor to get up to pressure. Most importantly, I'm happy with the results.

mark IX 10-07-2012 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, guys I finally got some time to try my touch up gun with the new Home Depot regulator. I wanted to prime my Spitfire with Benjamin Moore latex . I mixed up the paint with a 50% water and paint mix. At first I mixed a batch with denatured alcohol but that seemed to "curdle" the paint somehow.[:@] So I decided to stay with the water mix. When I set the regulator at the gun to 25-30 psi it seemed to spray quite well. The temp today was 50F as well. I was a little worried about that. Any way buying the regulator made all the difference.:D The spray pattern was controllable and even, although I did notice some pulsating in the gun as I was applying the paint.

scale only 4 me 10-09-2012 04:20 AM

Glad it worked better for you,

You need to remember that it's just a flow regulator, extra pressure can't bleed off anywhere like the regulator on the compressor, if you let it sit the compressor pressure will build up to the gun's valve/trigger, the first few pulls and it evens down to the setting at the regulator. If you get a real big burst turn down the compressor more. Play with it and you'll find a good balance, but you'll never get rid of that initial burst, you can minimize it though..

What I do is 2-3 pulls against the table or in the air then move down to the piece, you never want to start the paint stream on the subject anyway

good luck

Rudolph Hart 10-09-2012 04:27 AM

Lordy me scale only fair enough to have a chat about what you think you know but this advice is leading mk9 down the wrong track.Don't mean to be rude to you or other people reading this.

scale only 4 me 10-09-2012 04:38 AM

You're intitled to your opinion, I'm only relating what works well for me.

acerc 10-09-2012 11:07 AM

I will unplug my gun if stopping for more than a few seconds. Also give's the opertunity to reshake the mix when plugging back in.
I was taught to start to spray before the object and finish the spray after the object. Move the body not the hand or solely the hand, help's keep an even distance from the object.

acerc 10-09-2012 11:12 AM

Not looking to stir the pot so to speak. But, old fart, your gallery supports your advice. LOL

jester_s1 10-10-2012 06:30 AM

What's wrong with what scale said old fart?

Leroy Gardner 10-10-2012 07:48 PM

One thing is obvious here, some guys are painters and others just paint stuff. Painting the many products can be achieved by most anyone with some understanding of how to mix the product ( get the right viscosity ) and adjust the pressure to provide a nice smooth pattern. All paints do not spray the same, meaning the viscosity and pressure vary from paint to paint. Laytex is a heavy bodied paint and has to be thinned alot to go on smoothly and the gun will determine that. Suction guns most always require more pressure and volume. HVLP will produce great results and hardly any over spray at 10-15 PSI at gun inlet, a regulator is needed there to prevent air serges and the same applies to suction guns. Always spray straight on as much as possible to get the best results from the spray pattern. Cheep 2mill clear tarp is a great product to set your gun up on.

A good 2 stage air brush and a good HVLP spray gun and you can paint anything but your compressor will have to meet the requirements of the Larger gun no matter what it is. Practice makes perfect so do alot of it before you start on your plane, it won't take long to get the hang of it. Leroy

Rudolph Hart 10-11-2012 03:41 AM

I may be at fault for not properly wording my reply it's an old tradesmans habit,and a bad one at that. I've also read leroys posts from the past re spraypainting and he knows and explains how better than most.Dead right about painters too,there's paint sprayers and spraypainters,a massive differerence between the two.Cheers all:)

scale only 4 me 10-11-2012 11:16 AM

So you just drop an innuendo bomb and say oops my bad? LOL

carlgrover 01-05-2018 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me (Post 11213067)
I use a valve similar to this right at the gun, Air flow control valve w/ gauge

I dial the tank down to about 50, then fine tune with the valve at the gun. Try it you'll see the difference, much more control of flow even with a cheap HVLP touch up gun

good luck

I do the same thing but I also add a water filter (one of those cheap orange ones from Harbor Freight) right at the gun.

To help avoid splatter and other nasty things happening to your paint job while painting, never completely shut off your spray gun. You should be able to pull back the trigger to one point and it will only open the air valve. Pull back further and it will open the needle valve and the paint will flow. Keep that air line going the entire time, even when you aren't painting. It will help keep the air pressure constant and will help keep the needle valve from clogging.

carl