RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Great Planes Goldberg Anniversary Cub Kit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11228951-great-planes-goldberg-anniversary-cub-kit.html)

rye 09-14-2012 08:08 PM

Great Planes Goldberg Anniversary Cub Kit

hi
i have this kit Great Planes Goldberg Anniversary Cub Kit and would like to know if there is something i can add or take out in the build to help with tip stall i hear and see a lot of cubs going in because of it ,thanks

fredscz 09-14-2012 08:25 PM

RE: Great Planes Goldberg Anniversary Cub Kit

Hi Rye, I flew one of these for several years and finally sold it to one of my buddies. The Cub was covered in solartex and painted so it was a little heavy. Also the wing was clipped and while it would fly very slow it was really aerobatic. Like most cubs it was very squirrelly on the ground. The plane didn't know what a tip stall was. If I was to build another (I have a kit waiting) It would definitely be a clipped wing version again. I have a world Airborne Paulistina for sale (Brazilian cub) but it has a full wing and looks too nice or I would shorten it as everyone needs a cub to fly.
Fred

Firepower R/C 09-14-2012 09:59 PM

I recently helped a friend of mine restore a Goldberg Cub he built about 20 years ago as a teenager. It was heavy, had a bad twist (over 6 degrees) in the wing, and had the original long wing hacked up and re-glued to make the clipped wing. the workmanship was kind of bad. Sheesh, that was Frankenstein's Cub! It still flew reasonably well, and didn't "tip stall" as so many in the hobby say now days. This is really a full stall/spin, or uncoordinated stall, not the tip of the wing stalling, generally speaking. Anyway, I digress...

My point is that this model is docile in the air, and doesn't really have any bad manners in the air if built moderately well. Like fredscz says, it flies slow even for how heavy it is. Just don't build a big warp in the wing! :D One other thing about that wing- it is WAY overbuilt & heavy as the designer would have you build it! We ended up designing a new wing (D-tube construction) that was much lighter and easier to build. I think we shaved off a pound or so, & it flew even better at the lighter weight.

Build it light and enjoy a great model!

DavidAgar 09-15-2012 07:39 AM

The Goldberg Cub does not have any tendancies to tip stall. As with all Cub's, it takes a little practice to get them in the air. You will need to practice trottle management and how to use the rudder on take off runs. Once airbourne they are very Cub like in flight and really have nothing bad to talk about. They float on landings and if you have learned to fly, you should have no problems. As mentioned, you can clip the wing so that it will be more aerobatic, but other than that I would not change anything. Good Luck, Dave

blvdbuzzard 09-16-2012 07:23 AM

I have to agree. I have had two of them for almost 20 years now. Mine never had a tip stall problem. I could hang them on the wing in a gentle breeze and fly them with a zero ground speed. My last one is a super heavy pig of a plane. Colortex covered then about half of it is painted. I flew it with an O.S. 70fs at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. It just sort of floated through the air.

My opinion is people would try to horse it off the ground, think of it as a light weight trainer and it came back to bite them and they blamed the plane, not the thumbs flying it.

Buzz.

Rodney 09-16-2012 01:04 PM

I've had many Cubs and none ever had a problem with tip stall. Take off can be a bit squirrelly unless you have the gear set up correctly, I found that a bit of toe in was a big help. Just let it get to flying speed before you let it lift off, you do have to control the elevator all the way from start of taxi to well after lift off for a smooth take off.