RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Painting Park Zone Foam War Birds (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11258923-painting-park-zone-foam-war-birds.html)

greyfoxx 10-11-2012 07:35 AM

Painting Park Zone Foam War Birds

I have found that "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson some time later," thus the reason for this post.

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I was wondering what kind of paint everyone is using to paint and trim your Park Zone War Birds, and the method used when masking off the area to be painted to avoid pulling paint off of the styrofoam on the model.

Thanks,

Phillip

H5606 10-11-2012 08:53 AM

RE: Painting Park Zone Foam War Birds

I've only done real paint work to the early PZ T-28. The white areas weren't a real problem. On the painted areas, I used the blue masking tape because it is less aggressive and I was able to reduce the tack further by slapping a length across the front of the sweatshirt I was wearing and pulling it off several times. Testor's paint was used both brushed and from spray cans. I've never tried it but was wondering if wet newspaper could be used for masking? Pictures here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=90

greyfoxx 10-13-2012 09:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback H5606. You have made a very nice looking T28.

Have you ever heard of anyone using latex on the PZ foamy warbirds? I have heard of wet newspaper being used for masking paint separation lines, but have not tried it myself. Would be interested in knowing more about how to do that and how it works.

It seems that everyone seems to think the Corsair was done in blue on blue on blue, or blue, but there are other color schemes that were used by our allies. The one that really strikes my fancy is the British color scheme of eggshell or light grey bottom with dark grey upper.

All information and experience of others is always appreciated because one cannot live long enough to experience everything them selves, thus the reason I cannot get off my mind that; "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson some time later!"

Phillip

H5606 10-15-2012 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

ORIGINAL: greyfoxx

Have you ever heard of anyone using latex on the PZ foamy warbirds? I have heard of wet newspaper being used for masking paint separation lines, but have not tried it myself. Would be interested in knowing more about how to do that and how it works.

It seems that everyone seems to think the Corsair was done in blue on blue on blue, or blue, but there are other color schemes that were used by our allies. The one that really strikes my fancy is the British color scheme of eggshell or light grey bottom with dark grey upper.

Phillip
I don't know of anyone using latex however, I think it should work since it is water-based(?) and should be foam compatible although heavy... I would think that acrylic paints should also work well.

I have an early PZ Corsair and find these dark blue airplanes rather boring to look at too. If I ever find the time, I'd like to redo it in a post-war light grey especially since I left it out in the sun too long and ended up with the typical puffed foam cells in some areas. FWIW, masking tape seems to remove the original paint easily.

They are wonderful flying airplanes in calm wx conditions. Good luck and have fun with it.

greyfoxx 10-15-2012 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm thinking like you as well, that latex would be quiet heavy.

Here is the scheme I have chosen to use.

Phillip

H5606 10-15-2012 05:22 PM

Wow! Very nice scheme and not like all the rest... BTW, PZ has those drop tanks available now too. Thanks for sharing.

Redback 10-15-2012 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my TF Corsair in Fleet Air Arm colours

greyfoxx 10-15-2012 08:02 PM

Very nice color scheme on that Corsair Redback. I had looked at that scheme myself and a postwar grey, white & black USA version before I settled on the British color scheme.

greyfoxx 10-15-2012 08:18 PM

Yeah, I'm aware that PZ has the drop tanks, and I think they would look cool in flight, but wonder how much drag they would induce, and don't think they would go to well on grass take-offs and landings. I hand launch & belly land my Me-109. It has finished it's second season and has a lot of "battle damage" that will eventually catch up with it. My plan at this time is to have the Corsair ready, and just switch the gear from the Me-109 to the F-4U. I understand the F-4U flies much better than the Me-109, and it's not a bad flier if your aware that when giving it throttle, be ready for a torque induced left turn!! LOL! My first take off was a real white knuckler, and I had read about the torque induced roll. I have found the Me-109 flies well in wind, really good penetration. And although I've seen the Corsair fly on numerous occasions, I do have some reservation about that with that big radial nose on the Corsair on a windy day, particularly with a cross-wind.

I'm probably going to hop-up the Corsair just a bit with a different prop (10 X 7), and perhaps an e-flite Power 10 motor. These will give a little advantage but will not require an airframe modifications to avoid over stressing the airframe. (A friend of mine has a PZ Spitfire, and we've enjoyed flying some mock combat and formation flying with his Spit and my Messerschmit.

Now, to get my paint and "get-er done!"

Thanks for your input guys! I'll try to post photos later after I've completed the paint work. And if you have any other recommendations, on paint and painting techniques, or anything else on the PZ war birds, let me know.

And like I always say, "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first and the lesson some time later!"

SnakeBT6 10-28-2012 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didnt read all of this but have done 2 foamies.. a Spitfire and FW190..used Behr from Home Depot and Testors Acrylics from and airbrush with no issues on both.

Seems the paint peeling is just what its going to be. Be smooth and careful when removing to help minimize the damage..just retouched by hand when I had issues with tape removing the paint. Ive used frog painters tape and even post it notes for masking.

My 2..

greyfoxx 10-29-2012 05:02 AM

Very nice work on the Spitfire & FW-190 SnakeBT6! Very professionally done. I appreciate your feedback. I'll have to try the sticky note. I've tried electric tape, and it worked with some paint removal. although not enough that a little touch up wont take care of, that is until I tried to paint invasion strips. When I removed the electrical tape, after painting the black strips, it pulled off almost as much of the white paint and gray paint outside of the invasion strips as I had put on, leaving nothing but white foam. Now, I've got a mess to try to clean up before proceeding with the fuselage. I haven't tried putting the invasion strips on the wings yet, and wont until I clean up the mess on the fuselage.

I've been using Krylon and Valspar from Lowes on the PZ Corsair, with no adverse affects on the foam, but not at all happy with the difficulty I've encountered in removing the tape without pulling off so much of the paint.