RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Wood stringer storage? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/11329558-wood-stringer-storage.html)

Thunderbolt47 12-12-2012 06:15 PM

Wood stringer storage?

Hey Guys, Anybody came up with a good way of storing dowls, square stock, and stringers?

Kelly

acerc 12-12-2012 06:29 PM

RE: Wood stringer storage?

I don't manage to keep enough to worry about storage.

invertmast 12-12-2012 07:35 PM

I bought a balsa storage rack what is like in the LHS'

Toysareforkids 12-13-2012 02:34 AM

I use old covering tubes & Christmas paper wraping tubes, among others. You can stand them up (tape one shut)or lay them flat, or lay them onyour wing rack, etc.I use a different one for each kind of wood, control rods, tubes, and wire I have.

Pat

AA5BY 12-13-2012 03:29 AM

Ditto on the storage tubes from various sources such as rolled plans, etc. And, I like to band together the stock before storing in the tubes in hope of preventing warping.

badger5964 12-13-2012 08:22 PM

I do much the same with PVC pipe and the matching solvent weld caps. I'll glue a cap on one end but leave it unglued on the other. It does cost a few dollars but one gets the protection of the hard PVC tube to protect the stuff from getting busted up. One can stand them up, lay flat they take some abuse.

I do the same for control rods, keeps them from getting bent.

Thunderbolt47 12-14-2012 01:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thunderbolt47 12-14-2012 03:58 PM

I remembered my cousin works at a local hydrolic cylinder plant. The inner piston rams come in 20 foot lenths protected by cardboard tubes. They have a big dumpster full of these tubes. A quick phone call got me five tubes of 1-3/4.

Thanks for the tips. I will post pix of what I come up with.

Edwin 12-14-2012 06:27 PM

I have racks under my big work bench with long boxes of wood stored in them. Sheet, stringers, all kinds with no problems.
Edwin

MILDBILL-RCU 12-15-2012 04:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I work at an auto parts store & I use the hard cardboard tubes that steel brake lines arrive at the stores in. They come in all kinds of lenths, are easy to cut to any lenth needed, glue together quick with c/a glue, have heavy duty, stapled caps at the end to hold anything you could put in them. I used 7 tubes wide X 5 tubes deep. Holds hardwood stock, balsa stock, triangle stock, Round stock, etc....... I made this rack 21 years ago & it is still going strong. Hope the pictures help explain more than my words have.

KW_Counter 12-15-2012 07:57 AM

I take Badger's idea one step further.
I put a threaded end and a screw cap over it.
Make sure the cap goes over, not inside the end.

Got one for wood, one for steel rods and a short one for steel rods.
2 1/2 inch seem to be the most economical.
3 inch fittings seem to jump in price.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter

Thunderbolt47 12-16-2012 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok guys here is what I came up with. There are 15 tubes. Back row is 24", mid 16" and front is 11". It will get a coat of gray paint (wood only) then it will be done.

They are 2"(ID) tubes.

Thanks for the ideas.
Kelly

Mikie 1 01-11-2013 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys, I stumbled on your question about storing things like control rods and other long fragile stuff and thought I would show what I came up with a couple of years ago. From the photos you'll see I found another use for those clear plastic covers for florescent lights. I like this idea because I can see into the holder and know right away if I'm leaving something behind - or - if I really do have "that" in stock.

dadragon 01-12-2013 08:59 AM

Thunderbolt; DiDDO