RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Paint compatibility(what works over DOPE?) (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/5417830-paint-compatibility-what-works-over-dope.html)

4u2nv-RCU 02-14-2007 11:37 AM

Paint compatibility(what works over DOPE?)

I am finishing a sheeted fuse and would like to paint without using fiberglass. Was going to try clear dope and talc as my filler. The wings will be monokote and I was wondering if Lusterkote will spray over dope without any harsh reactions. Any info will be apprciated....

Chip_Mull 02-14-2007 12:11 PM

RE: Paint compatibility(what works over DOPE?)

Why not stay with dope? It's far better to stay with whatever process you start with. Paint is not paint is not paint. If it's solvent based it really depends on what the solvent is before you can determine if it is compatible. What ever advice you get on this thread and no matter how many experts weigh in....test it before you put in on your model. A small test panel with some dope and talc would be easy to make.

When we sell dope we recommend to stay with that process. When we sell Poly Tone or Enamel, the advice is the same. Good luck and share pictures of your project with us.

Stickbuilder 02-14-2007 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dope is actually a lacquer based coating, with Nitrate Dope being a Nitrocellulose lacquer, and Butyrate dope being a Butyl based product. The nitrate will melt anything, and the Butyrate will not melt the nitrate. Use the nitrate as a base, and finish with butyrate. Enamel will work over the lacquer based produce, but the lacquer will eat up the enamel if applied over the enamel. Urethanes and epoxies will not lift the lacquer (as a general rule). As the other guy asked, why not stay with the dope? I do use a lot of automotive finishes on my planes, but that is because the appearence of the finish is important to me. you can get the dope to shine, but it requires some very food spray equipment, and a good safe place to paint. I use the paint booth at the dealership to do mine in. So far, my bodyman hasn't thrown a fit, but I tread lightly there. A good painter is hard to come by.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

I'm including the finished job on my most recent WACO YMF.

LesUyeda 02-15-2007 10:44 AM

You can paint almost anything over nitrate, so your choice of nitrate and baby powder would be a light weight solution to that part of the problem. Caution:!!!!! Try anything you intend to use first, before you commit to your bird.

Les

4u2nv-RCU 02-15-2007 03:41 PM

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply with advice. I am a few weeks away from getting to the finishing stage but will gladly share pics of the finished product when available.....