RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Wing tube for servo wire (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/6508561-wing-tube-servo-wire.html)

Big_Bird 10-18-2007 05:23 PM

Wing tube for servo wire

1 Attachment(s)
This subject has probably been presented but here is an easy way to make a tube for slipping the servo wire through. Get a stalk of 1/2" heat shrink tubing. Take a 1/2" wooden dowel and sand it smooth. Take a bar of soap and thoroughly coat the dowel. Slide the flat heat shrink onto the dowel the desired length. Use a Monokote or other suitable hot air gun to shrink the tubing. Don't over shrink it or it will be hard to get off the dowel. Glue it to the ribs with CA.

jetmech05 10-18-2007 05:42 PM

RE: Wing tube for servo wire

does the hot sun finish shriking the tube? would rolled up paper be easier?

bobcat10_4 10-18-2007 07:53 PM

What I used on my Skylane for servo and lighting wires was 1/2" paper tube ( avalable at online hobby stores), I took a short lenght of 1/2" ridgid copper pipe, made a serrated cutting edge on it with a Dremel and jewelers files, and cut through the ribs. I was even able to use this procedure with the wing built. ( less planking or tips)

Big_Bird 10-18-2007 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

does the hot sun finish shriking the tube? would rolled up paper be easier?
A hot airplane airplane in the sunshine doesn't come close to the shrink temperature of the shrink tubing. Once it comes off the dowel it is finished. Each to his own but it took me about 3 minutes to shrink the tube and remove it from the dowel.

Big_Bird 10-18-2007 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: bobcat10_4

What I used on my Skylane for servo and lighting wires was 1/2" paper tube ( avalable at online hobby stores), I took a short lenght of 1/2" ridgid copper pipe, made a serrated cutting edge on it with a Dremel and jewelers files, and cut through the ribs. I was even able to use this procedure with the wing built. ( less planking or tips)
I put the tubing holes in the ribs before I assemble the wing.

MILDBILL-RCU 10-18-2007 09:17 PM

I get the clear plastic paper protector for small reports & stuff from any local store that sells school supplies. Its very thin, but very strong, adjusts to any size hole, can be doubled for longer wings, very smooth interior surface that wont snag connects & wire going through it, & it only costs a few buck for 8-10 of them, & that has lasted me about 12-14 aircraft.

johnboyrc 10-18-2007 09:59 PM

I put some tubes in my bipe after it was framed up, before covering it. I used someone else's suggestion of cotting some holes in the ribs and use rolled up typing paper for the tubes, a touch of CA to hold them in place and they have done rather well. They don't have to be really durable or heavy, they are only for routing a servo wire. Very simple to do, and cheap too... There are several ways to put tubes in, but they sure make life easier.

Edwin 10-19-2007 07:56 AM

I dont use tubes anymore. A little fishing weight on some kite string and I can thread it. Got to admit the first few times were pretty aggrevating but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty quick.
Edwin

FlyerInOKC 10-19-2007 09:00 AM

I always mount the servos before covering so tubes are not neccessary and if I need to remove them I tie a string to the wire before pulling them out. I do use tubes occasionally but I either user the paper ones or buy the tubes from the guy who makes thestuff that keeps CA from sticking to your hands.

Intruder38 10-19-2007 09:02 AM

Another trick that I'm sure has been posted before is to use beaded light fixture pull-chain to fish your leads thru the wing ribs. Drop an end of the chain thru a hole in the end rib (or servo hatch rib) and watch it find its way, seemingly all on its own, to the other end of the route. Tie your servo connector to the end of the chain and, voila!, there you go. If the wing is uncovered , it's even fascinationg to watch, almost like one of those maze games.

Charlie P. 10-19-2007 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I take white copier paper (11 x 17) and roll it over a dowel, carefully slide it off the dowel (a bit of masking tape holds the spiral in place), then paint with thinned TitebondII. Then I snip off the ends to length. Very light when done.

I drill out the clearance holes with a piece of copper pipe with teeth filed in the end. Cut the ribs all at once when sanding the stack or one-at-a-time after framed up by putting a pine block behind each one when twisting the pipe-cutter.

KitBuilder 10-19-2007 10:34 AM

I chuck the correct size forstner bit in benchtop drill press before ass'y.. nice smooth holes... cuts like butter.
Mike.

Big_Bird 10-19-2007 12:11 PM

That's exactly the way I do it Mike. The Forstner bit is a great tool. I back up the balsa with a block of hard wood.

sscherin 10-19-2007 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've done both the paper tube rolled on a 1/2" dowel and 7-11 Super Big Gulp Straws..

The Straws are nice and flexible if you are adding them to a built wing..
The only down side is having to temporarily remove a connector to run the wires.

Paper tubes are great if it isn't built yet.

Either way a Forstner bit is the way to go for making the holes.

dr_wogz 10-19-2007 01:32 PM

I mostly do rolled up paper. Any colour, and sometimes recycled old print-outs & drawings (A bonus of being a drafter / mech designer - large paper & films!)

I've also done the weight & sting thing.. Also the long wire with a hook bent into it as well.

And, also have used model rocket body tubes, but they tend to be 'odd sizes'

Bass1 10-19-2007 02:01 PM

Yeah, Everybodys got their own preference. Personally I use rolled Tracing paper. Weighs next to nothing.

allanflowers 10-19-2007 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is rolled paper, squished into a flat oval because the wings on this Camel are rather thin.