Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > TJT Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

TJT CUSTOMER SERVICE NOTICE

Notices
TJT Turbine Direct Support Ask your questions about TJT turbine in this forum. All I-Jets related questions may be asked here if relevant or in the general jet forum.

TJT CUSTOMER SERVICE NOTICE

Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 AM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TJT CUSTOMER SERVICE NOTICE

Notice for TJT customers- For all (TJT) TurboJet Technologies service and spare parts requirments please contact JET FX Australia directly who are the newly appointed factory authorized service centre for TJT microjet gas turbines. For fast response to all your TJT inquiries please email or phone us (Australian EST)
All JET FX Australia contact information can be found listed on our new websites customer information page here-
http://www.jetfx.net

Regards-
Marty Cowan CD
JFX Australia
www.jetfx.net
Old 09-15-2007, 02:35 PM
ron Sweeney

Default RE: TJT CUSTOMER SERVICE NOTICE

Hi Marty, a question from the UK. I have a 3000 that has given stirling service with 'first spin starts' until the rise in summer temperatures kidded me and starts became fourth or fifth spin till I knocked back the gas supply. The last few starts produced a very hot tail end until idle rpm was reached. I re-programmed the ecu to the recomended settings recently published on RCU. these settings didn't change the red hot start but gave very sluggish performance so I returned to Chris Mounkleys' settings. The next 2 starts were perfect with no flame or overheating during ramp up to idle. My concern however is the bearings which are quite noisy and sound dry. I have noticed the change in sound over the last 10 or so flights during cool down. There appears to be no 'drag' from bearing pre load and the turbine spins very freely. I have been advised by Rob Rowbottom who I respect, and who was the importer of the engine, that maybe the combustion chamber sticks could be eroded but if this is the case wouldn't this be evident all the time? The turbine has completed 12 hours of use. Can you tell me if the combustion chamber is inconel or stainless. The engine is about 4 years old. Do you have a service manual for stripping and assembly? I have a balancer and fancy changing the bearings myself but if the burners are eroded then this would best be undertaken by an expert. I feel it would be cost prohibitive to return it to Australia. I am an ex RAF engineer but my experience of turbines never got past the Goblin. Now that must make it easy to age me, regards Ron Sweeney
Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 AM
normt

Hi Ron,

Marty rang me last night about your TJT problem. I do not know Rob Rowbottom personally but Marty speaks very highly of him so I think he is your best bet.

From my point of view there could be a few causes. Check to see if your ECU battery is ok, if it is struggling on amps then the starter will not perform properly. Check your speed 400 starter motor and make sure it is not slipping or worn out i.e sloppy bearing etc, this can cause bad starts. Clean "o" ring on bendix assy and lube metal parts of clutch with dry graphite. If you have eroded fuel needles etc then this can also cause the problems your having. From your description you also seem to have lost your bearing preload, this can be because you have unserviceable bearings or your bearing carriers are jambed due to over heating, whatever the problem i think you need to strip down the unit and assess it, running with little or no preload is a formula for a complete meltdown. To the best of my knowledge TJT only used SS combustion chambers with Inconel tubes. I do have some parts available and we can help if required.

Once again , check with Rob if he is unable to help then let me know

Rgs

Norm Thompson

Old 09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
ron Sweeney

Hi Norm, many thanks for your reply, I have spoken with Rob Rowbottom and yes he is a very helpful guy.
Re hot starts, I re-progarmmed my ecu to the settings provided recently on this forum but the start was still very hot and the engine response felt arkward for me so I put them back to the settings Chris used when he supplied the engine and low and behold the engine gave me a normal cool start. The problem with this engine is that it has been totally trouble free and of course complacency sets in. I have noticed over the last half dozen or so runs that it is noisier on cool down.This was before the 3 hot starts and it tends to run on quite a bit. If I spin it by hand it is really free and quite noisy but there is no play.
I would have thought that if the burner sticks were eroded this would show up all the time. On the three occsions that I had a hot start the engine behaved normally once it reached idle.
Re bearing noise, I am trying to contact another local (to me) guy who has an identical engine with more hours than mine to do a comparison. What ever the case I won't run it again till I am sure of the problem. Rob suggested that the noisy and free running nature of the shaft could suggest that the 'O' rings supporting the bearing housings could be stuck and causing the loss of preload. Is there any way of telling and/or correcting this without a strip down? Thanks in advance Ron
Old 09-24-2007, 01:56 AM
normt

Hi Ron,

I am afraid it is a teardown situation, I have been away at Temora Jet meeting last few days so didn't get a chance to reply. Once again do not run the engine if the preload is a bit suspect, it will only cause more damage.

rgs

Norm Thompson
Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 AM
shonny

"newly appointed factory authorized service centre"

What factory? Was there ever anything else than that sea container, ice box in winter oven in summer, we worked in, with the Monkey in charge?
Got some more jokes, Marty?