Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

Throttle "run on" on my newbright crawler

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Throttle "run on" on my newbright crawler

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 PM
The Jackalope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle "run on" on my newbright crawler

I'm having a small issue with my jeep crawler. sometimes when I give itUNDER half throttle, and its under slight load, the throttle sticks on for a few seconds.
Or sometimes, the truck just lunges forward as if someone hit FULL throttle. This is a problem when making calculated crawling manuevers. It gets worse near the end of the battery cycle.

It's even locked on about 1/4 throttle a few times, and the remote does nothing to break it out of it. even turning the remote off!
anyone seen this before?

My current theory, though I could be WAY out to lunch;
I replaced the motors with some slightly larger than stock, but still meant for dual motors on a 9.6v power supply.
Apparently motors give off a radio signal, which is why they putcapacitors on the motors themselvesto cancel this out.

Could mycapacitors be not working?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Spiike

Default RE: Throttle

I've never seen this problem with my rock crawler jeep, I notice that when the truck is on idle and sittin there, and i set the remote down, it starts moving forward, but when i pick the remote up it stops. what i do is set the throttle trim, i know you probably have tried it, but have you fiddled with the throttle trim?

I know the motors i got from a buddy on another forum, they are jaimco 280 motors for my new bright jeep. they do not have capacitors. and i'm running a 4th gear on both front and rear axles.

I also notice when you drive forward very slowly, like 1/8th speed for climbing over obstacles, sometimes the truck goes in reverse by itself without me going in reverse.

same thing when i go in reverse, sometimes the truck will go forward slightly
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Spiike

so i've been reading, and learning, and understanding things differently now, I was reading that people have added capacitors on their motors to reduce noise and radio frequency between the radio controller and the motor. reducing the noise the motor produces when running. don't quote me on this, but this is my theory to both of our situations?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
The Jackalope

Hmmm, I never knew. Might have to rethink some of my install methods.

http://www.*********.org/cars_stop-radio-glitching.htm
Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Spiike

Thats what I was thinking, i've read that the motor itself creates a lot of noise, and should be the #1 looked at part that creates noise. Now reading what that website says, proves to me that this might be easily fixed. My dad is an electrian, he was just telling me that a simple .1uF non-polarized capacitor could easily do the trick, accordig to the website it says the same thng. connect 1 from the positive to the motor casing, and 1 from the negative to the casing, and 1 from the negative to the positive. be sure to get non-polarized capacitors, as the polarized can be messy and tend to blow up due to the reverse polarity. I believe I have the same issue as you with my NB jeep rock crawler, but isn't quite as constant as you say it is (for myself). I think I might try this solution and i'll let you know what i find.

I read that you can buy endless amounts of capacitors at radio shack for really cheap, few quarters or so.

This solution might also solve my problem with backing up and lighting LEDs when only in reverse. Which i'll post in my thread when I'm complete and it works.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:11 AM
The Jackalope

I think I dug my own grave when I used butt-end crimp connectors on my motors. I was just being lazy and didn't want to solder and shrink wrap. I'll clean up my wiring and that should solve most of my issues.