Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

New to the Scene

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM
wvmtnboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Scene

Hey, how is everyone doing?

I messed around with RC Cars a bit when I was a kid. 38 now. I never had the cash to get into the high end of things, so while some of my friends had bad ass cars, I was always in the toy car class, so I did some light mods, but nothing too serious.

Fast forward to today, and I have a 4 year old son who's crazy about planes, trains, and automobiles. As a form of bribery to complete his potty training, we were going to get one of those little toy helicopters, but during our 4 o'clock internet hour, he got hooked on monster trucks. Off we go to Walmart.

Well, we get there, and I really don't recognize any of the brand names. I wanted a battery pack, so through process of elimination, I was introduced to, New Bright. First we bought a buggy. Had a receiving range of about 4 feet. Back to the store, and I come home with an F150. Had good range, but i thought the motor went out on me (turns out they get all jerky when the battery goes dead).

Third trip home, and I now have a New Bright Pro RC Scorpion. Hot little car! 12.8V Lithium Ion battery,fast and overall a lot of fun. The downside is that the front end is absolutely wrecked on this thing. The wheels are wobbly and toe in when it's accelerating, the connections between the control arm and the tire mount has a ton of play in it, and the servo seems to be doing odd things, but with the overall condition of the rest of the front end, I can't tell if it's related.
in
I'm looking at it, and thinking, is it possible to replace this stuff? The NB page says that various replacement parts from hobby stores will work with their setup, but I'm at a loss. Can someone explain what I need, and how it all ties together, or at least direct me somewhere in the general direction I need to go?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM
anustart

In my personal opinion it is cheaper to buy them online. You will also get a better variety.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:49 AM
whee-sconsin basher

My son also has 2 NB trucks: one I bought, and one someone else did. IMO, they are overpriced for what they are. Granted, they can take a beating from him (5mph top speed can't create much destruction ), but the one I bought him had to get returned due to circuitry failure. They replaced it at no charge, and included an extra battery free, which is something you simply can't get at the store.
As far as repairing is concerned, never had to do much so far. I did pull the wheels off and put some light grease on the hubs where they make contact so there'd be less friction. I suppose you could shim up the wheels with washers to take out the slop there, but as far as everything else is concerned, just gotta get ingenuitive. Best of luck!