Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Looking for Long Lasting Car

Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 AM
jdomm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Long Lasting Car

I am volunteering at a retirement center and trying to start an event where the residents get to play with some cars. I have a budget of about $50 for a car, but the most important features would be that it is rechargeable and that the batteries should last 45 minutes to an hour. I haven't had much luck finding anything on the market. No one in that price range talks about the battery life. I hope someone here can help.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jeff
Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm gonna jump in here, and guess at the reason nobody responded...it's very hard to find a quality toy grade RC that will take some abuse, and run-times out the kazoo. One RC that I stumbled upon jumping from sites across the www, Maisto Tech's Rock Crawler Extreme...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUM29XS/...ler-extreme%2F
The only thing about this RC is the batteries needed to make it get up and go. But I'm sure with a little bit of modification and a small 7.2v NiMh pack, this RC could have the potential to fit your bill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EaJj_Ymuj2Y
Old 03-30-2015, 04:06 AM
RustyUs

Oh, and the above model is only $34 and change. Another reason I thought something like a rock crawler could fit into a situation like yours...speed. I didn't think you would want a speed daemon to get out of control and crash; more than likely you would just have to chuck it (speedy brand X RC car) after a unrepairable crash.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 AM
RustyUs

I'm thinking probably a battery like this...

would fit in battery compartment.
The only thing is, I can't find these anywhere without buying them bulk.
'Cause I'm thinking them "over the counter" Duracell; Energizer, and other brands of rechargeable batteries at Wally World would cost a lot.
My last effort here for any toy grade RC that uses AA batteries and you must have rechargeables...
All-Batteries.com And then one would have to add in the cost of a charger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7_2v_rechargeable_nimh_battery_pack_aa.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2085187  
Old 05-02-2015, 09:33 PM
dacaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The redcat sumo fits your $50/car requirement, and you can get parts for it. It runs on 4 AA's, and using 2000mah rechargeables you will get around 45 min out of one. They are not super fast, but fast enough for their size. You can get them at amain.com.