Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Radio Shack Avalanche

Hi guys
    Recently came across a radio shack rc avalanche without the controller. kinda surprised that it has metal dog bone axles and metal knuckles, a metal drive shaft for the 4 wheel drive and a 540 can motor in it. looks like the shocks can be changed also. i thought it had some potential so i grabbed some spare electronics and started work. it was real simple to remove the old circuit board. i just cut them off close to the board. the steering box in this is close in size to a servo. i had to do some modding to the front to get the servo in place but not much. the limited slip diffs work so it's not going to be crawling over much but it looks to be a higher grade toy made a little stronger than most.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1703.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	2189119don't know why this one is sideways sorry.

Name:	IMG_1699.JPG 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	2189121

Name:	IMG_1701.JPG 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	2189122i had to cut through half of a screw mount so it won't be used. the front bumper will slide over it and hold it in place.

Name:	IMG_1704.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	2189123
    It has a spot for a 9v battery that i might use to add some front and rear lights. so far it moves around really well. i'm not to push it until i get to open both gear boxes to see what it looks like. it's running good so far.
    Last edited by RustedRC; 11-06-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    I don't think i know what i'm talking about.

did you buy this off ebay on auction? I sold one a few years back , shoulda kept it and did what you did !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My brother found it at a yard sale for 10 bucks. no controller with it. it's been a fun project so far. the tires are trashed so i was looking to change them but the rims suck also. not because of damage but how they are made. the front and back of the rim are different sizes. so i had to get creative. i took some tires from a toy crawler the maisto rock crawler tires need some work to fit the rear of the rim because of the larger size and the front also need some work to stay on because the smaller size. now the width of the rim is pretty big as well. just so happened that two tires fit on one rim. so it's going to be to two tires per rim. i'm still making a bead locker of sorts to hold the tires on the front of the rims. i think i have found a way to get working. i'll post up results if it works out.

Hey Rusted RC,I was just browsing and saw you are still into crawlers.I am into my first ever fixed wing,Still letting the smoke out of various projects.Good to see your still active, Take care Smoke trail Charlie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey hows it going somketrailcharlie. i had to take a break for a bit for some OT from work. 12 hour days leave little time for projects but ill always find time to do some crawling and modding.
    A fixed wing flier. that sounds cool. i hope it's going good for you. if the weather stays nice this weekend i think i'm going to fly the drone around.
    Good to hear from you STC and i'm still here just less free time for the fun stuff.

Rusted RC,What drone do you fly?I have an Alias I have flown for several years ,also a syma x5c Like them both but my son bought me a nice Tactic 850 transmitter and reciever and someone else gave me a Sensei airplane. That was for my 80th Birthday,cant wait to turn 100.Take car Smoke trail Charlie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just one of the syma's for now. going to wait until we move to get anymore cool rc's. things just aren't the same around here anymore.
    glad to hear your getting off the ground and out to fly. 100 will get there in due time my friend. just relax and grab the transmitter.

Anyone whoYa rc Those years pass much too soon. remains calm in the midst of this confusion simply doesn't understand the situation.Ya rc those years pass much too soon. Take care. Smoke trail Charlie.

Wow rusted RC,I don't know what happened on my last post.Either me or my notebook has gone gunny bags.I think I know which one.Best to ya S.T.C

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It's all good STC.
    If ya ever need an ear you can send me a (pm) private message. i'm good for a random chat sometimes.

and also an update to the avalanche. i'm still gathering up the lids i need. only have one right now but i might have some free time to get back on it. it's going to be getting warmer in a few months and i would like to get it out. i'll get the picks up when i can.

I think I may have missed something.1 Tell me all about the Avalanche Two I don't know what you meant by lids.Three how do you do PM?The snow is melting fast and I also am looking forward to warmer weather.Just learning to fly fixed wing.Still have the Amphib in my shop incomplete.I trashed my swamp boat.have a Springer tug boat unfinished. I decked it out with a water cannon I cobbled together out of a Round up weed sprayer.Lots of wood shop projects unfinished.I'm sure you understand by unfinished projects.I am thinning the Herd ,got rid of several Hellis. Enough for now take care S.T.C.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    the lids i speak of are just plastic small jars. there the right size to fit the rim diameter on the out side. to act as a bead lock of sorts.

the avalanche is an older radio shack rc my brother got for cheap. it has metal axles and steering knuckles. the reason i thought it was good enough to put some time in to getting it back running. yep i get the unfinished projects. i have more than my share waiting to get something done with them.

to send a PM click on my name above my pic and send private message will be the second option.