Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

Is there a market for selling hobby upgraded Vintage Toy RC Cars?

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Is there a market for selling hobby upgraded Vintage Toy RC Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:12 PM
mystic4407

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Is there a market for selling hobby upgraded Vintage Toy RC Cars?

I've recently gotten into the RC hobby, and have become obsessed with the modding and upgrading aspect. I dusted off a couple of old RadioShack cars that I had when I was a kid, and ended up doing a dual 550 on a 4WD, and a brushless on a 2WD. I have since found and purchased a few additional Nikko and RadioShack cars relatively cheap on eBay and begun modding those as well. My two sons have a blast driving the cars with me, and I do it for the pure joy of seeing a toy car that I grew up with blazing along next to my Blackout in the backyard. I just can't stop the giggles. I don't modify the gearboxes (aside from mounting the new motors), and I haven't upgraded any of the shocks other than repairing the originals. I have gotten pretty good at modding these old things (all Nikko/RadioShack buggies so far) for ridiculous speeds (I'm talking 50+ mph on 3S), and I have been pleasantly surprised with how well they handle and hold up for their age.

Sorry for the lengthy background, now on to my question. Do any of you here beleive that there is a market for selling the Vintage RC Toys with hobby upgrades? I'm considering listing a few of these on eBay (with a reserve) just to see what happens. I'm just wondering if most people that are in this target market are there for the same reasons as me, or if there are some out there that would just pay for a packaged product. I'm thinking of packaging each car with a 2S LiPo and a basic charger. I think its worth a shot to see if there could be a market there. The cool factor of these things have surpassed my own expectations so far, and my kids prefer to drive them over our hobby cars.

Any thoughts, comments, questions?
Old 12-23-2017, 04:02 AM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is nearly a year old but......
I do think there would be potential market for vintage, nostalgic, O I had this one when I was a kid, type driven sales.
But how much would one pay for them ?
I did a couple of projects for people where I took a toy r/c (hummer) and re-painted it and made decals to repliciate
vehicles they used in there business. (actually did pretty good on those)
so..if your still thinkin about it I say...give it a shot !