Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Thrift shop find: Nikko Hummer H2

Old 04-22-2017, 05:16 AM
rawk crawler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Thrift shop find: Nikko Hummer H2

Hey folks, new member here.

The other day I was at the Value Village thrift store and found a what appears to be a 1:12 scale Nikko "2003 Hummer H2" including a 9.6V NiCad battery pack without the radio and charger of course. For $8 I figured what the heck it'll make a good beater for bad weather. The body measures 11.25" long by 5.5" wide. It takes the 9V NiCad pack that plugs in exposed under the chassis. A charger is easy find but...Anybody know a source of used radios for this thing? It's 49 MHz. I know Nikko doesn't exist and hard to find parts. Failing that I may just do a complete overhaul and covert it to 2.4 GHz with a new radio. Would that be difficult to do? I know it's not "hobby grade" but it's in mint condition and a shame it's not being used.

Thanks!

Here are some pics of the truck i found on the web. It's identical except it's black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nikko Hummer H2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2210811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nikko Hummer H2 underside.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2210812  
Old 04-23-2017, 02:17 AM
RustedRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi rawk crawler. ebay might have a controller. you can also try looking around at yard sales.
the hardest part about installing hobby grade electronics in toy rc's is the steering. your going to need to make a servo fit where the toy grade steering servo is. they are not wired the same so it won't work with hobby grade. the rest of the hobby grade electronics install isn't so difficult. so if your up for some modifying, tinkering and building it can be done.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:51 AM
rawk crawler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply RustedRC. I have been checking eBay for a controller but no luck so far. I have also thought of garage sales too. I will check those out once the weather gets better. As for upgrading the servo and ESC I think with the help of the learned people here and YouTube I may be able to manage it. It will also be a good learning experience.

Search this Thread