Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

You win some and you lose some

Old 04-24-2017, 01:56 PM
rawk crawler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You win some and you lose some

I went to a big box hardware store today to check out their selection of toy grade rc products and picked up a Maisto Desert Rebel 1:10 scale off road truck with the VW body. It was on "sale" for $39.99 marked down from $79.99.

Sadly I never got to try it out since it didn't even work once I installed fresh batteries into both the truck (6AA) and very crappy controller (2AAA). The controller didn't even have an on/off switch or light. I did like the instructions said turned on the truck and...nothing. Now...I have to admit I am not surprised since the thing was very cheaply made but it did look cool. It wasn't even 4WD. I'd be afraid to even run it outdoors and I am sure an 8 year old kid would destroy it. The 2WD Nikko H2 I found at the thrift store for $8 is a much better built vehicle even though it's all plastic except the suspension springs. It actually has better potential for a future upgrade. I wouldn't hesitate to use it outdoors for some light offroading. If only I could find a matching controller for it I wouldn't need to change the electronics and servo. In fact after comparing it's size to the Maisto I am sure the thrift store Nikko is a 1:10 scale and not 1:12 like I originally thought since it was basically the same size as the Maisto. The Nikko is pretty large scale wise.

Needless to say I returned the Desert Rebel and got my money back. I am actually glad it didn't work. I don't think it would've lasted long.

Last edited by rawk crawler; 04-24-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:54 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi rawk crawler.
Glad to hear you got your money back. it's sad but true that the quality of rc toys are terrible. maybe they think kids are gentile with them. IDK. it's like they make them to be used once then have you buy another because they don't have replacement parts and if they do you will pay way to much for a crappy china part. the electronics can be fixed but with crappy parts once you burn one thing out other components are going to be compromised from a short or heat.
Most of the time those are around 1:12 scale. i have had a few of the toy rc's and next to my 1:10 scale rc's and they are a bit smaller so i would say they are 1:12 scale or at least close to that.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:21 AM
rawk crawler

Originally Posted by RustedRC
Hi rawk crawler.
Glad to hear you got your money back. it's sad but true that the quality of rc toys are terrible. maybe they think kids are gentile with them. IDK. it's like they make them to be used once then have you buy another because they don't have replacement parts and if they do you will pay way to much for a crappy china part. the electronics can be fixed but with crappy parts once you burn one thing out other components are going to be compromised from a short or heat.
Most of the time those are around 1:12 scale. i have had a few of the toy rc's and next to my 1:10 scale rc's and they are a bit smaller so i would say they are 1:12 scale or at least close to that.
Thanks for clarifying the scale difference. I think you're correct in that the Nikko Hummer is more than likely 1:12 scale. Today I am going to check out a $15 1:16 scale dune buggy made by Dickie Toys. It's RWD and takes 4 AA batteries so not very fast but maybe a lipo battery conversion may remedy that.😉
Old 04-25-2017, 07:15 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a few they make like the silver fox and dirt slammer.
they look like fun rc's but be careful using a lipo for a few reasons. the circuit board may not handle a higher rated power source and fry something.
the gears in most of the toy grade rc's are plastic and not the good kind that can tolerate heat from more power or long run times.
not trying to rain on your parade but i tried that before on a few different kinds and it didn't so well.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:01 AM
rawk crawler

Originally Posted by RustedRC
I saw a few they make like the silver fox and dirt slammer.
they look like fun rc's but be careful using a lipo for a few reasons. the circuit board may not handle a higher rated power source and fry something.
the gears in most of the toy grade rc's are plastic and not the good kind that can tolerate heat from more power or long run times.
not trying to rain on your parade but i tried that before on a few different kinds and it didn't so well.
Thanks for your insights on doing lipo conversions to toy rc vehicles. I just picked up the silver fox 1:16 buggy for $15. It's a 49MHz vehicle that takes 4AA batteries in the buggy and one 9V battery for the radio controller. Initial impressions are that it is very well made and quite sturdy for what it is. If this was bought for a child it would certainly take some abuse (within reason). It features metal spring suspension in both the front and rear. The body shell is light and flexible. The chassis is a two piece affair with a separate hinged section where the motor is located in the rear. This also helps facilitate the need for suspension. The spoked wheels have a little bit of play but not as much as I have seen on other cheap rc trucks or buggy's. The tires are soft with treads and offer fairly good grip on flat pavement or carpet. They work well in loose dirt too. The controller is a simple two joystick style one which lights up when turned on and it works like it should. of course it is non-proportional. The steering is pretty accurate though and tracks well.

The only really downside to this little cheap buggy is it's lack of power. It's top speed apparently is a whopping 8kms an hour!! it is severely under powered for it's size and weight. Of course that is to be expected for the price. Also it's range is limited to about 6-8 feet. This is of course fine for the average 6-8 year old.

My conclusion is that for $15 this is a cool little stock buggy for a kid who will run it indoors or out on the driveway or sidewalk and it'll do just fine. Due to it's lack of speed and power it fails a bit in the longer grass and some obstacles that given it's size it should drive over them easily. I will try to remedy that and maybe increase it's range if possible. I wonder if trying to convert it from four single AA batteries to rechargeable 6 or 7.2V battery pack would help with it's lack of power. As for it's lack of range I have no idea how to increase it.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:23 PM
rawk crawler

More thoughts on the Silver Fox. So the body is held on by three posts that stick though. Two in the back and one in the front. The body is held in place by these removable tops that you push onto the posts securing the body. It's quite easy to remove the body and replace it. Very hobby grade style. The body is very lightweight, thin and flexible. After removing the body I then removed the rear spoiler/wing which was attached to the chassis by 2 screws. I also did the same for the massive front bumper. I am sure this took several grams of weight off the car. It now has a more streamlined look to it as well. Removing this extra weight may help add some speed to it.

Here's the stock photo of it. Mine now is now of course missing the rear spoiler and front bumper. I have a 1:15 body shell off an old gutted Hot Wheels RC Ford F150 SVT truck that with slight modifications will fit quite nicely on top this chassis.

Last edited by rawk crawler; 04-25-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:00 PM
rawk crawler

The Silver Fox dune buggy is now a silver and black Ford F150 off road truck. Amazingly enough I was able to use all the hardware and body leftover from an old gutted Hot Wheels toy RC truck that I paid $5 at the thrift store. It did have electronics when I bought it but no controller. I knew I'd find a use for it some day.

The two front posts are screwed into the bottom inside of the body and matched up with the holes for the front bumper where it attaches to the chassis. There are holes in the bottom of each post for screws. How lucky!

The back two posts are attached to the inside of the body with screws into posts with holes but not attached to the chassis as there is no way to fasten them yet. It all lines up pretty good actually but the body doesn't quite sit level and the back is jacked up very high. There was also a little tire rib in the front when the truck turns but I fixed that by adjusting the body height.

I plan on cutting the plastic posts in the back to lower them a little. I also need to drill a hole for the wire antenna and tube. I will also be figuring out a way to better fasten the back end of the body to the chassis. The body is on there quite secure right now as it is but I want it so it won't ever come off in the event of a roll over. So far it drives ok and looks pretty cool. It's still not going to break any land speed records though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rc truck 002.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	2211817   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc truck 006.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	2211818   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc truck 003.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	2211819  

Last edited by rawk crawler; 04-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:42 PM
Zoodles95

That's a fun build you are onto there. Any updates?
Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 AM
CustomCrawlerz

Toy Grade RC's are great for some instances... I have plenty of them in my RC arsenal and bring them out from time to time.. Biggest drawback is the frequency issue in my book.