Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

New Bright 1:10 Rear Dig?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Creepy Crawler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New Bright 1:10 Rear Dig?

Just wondering if anybody has toyed around with implementing rear dig on their new bright and how you went about doing it. With the four wheel drive, the turning radius is horrible. For those that are in the dark, rear dig locks the rear tires while the front tires, while steering left or right; rotates the vehicle, resulting in a smaller turning radius, among other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Bright 1:10 Rear Dig?

not done this myself but in practice should be possible you will need to fabricate brackets to hold the servos and micro switch .. this should help although this is not a newbright the princeples are the same ,, hope this helps ....[link]http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.com/Dig.html[/link].........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97677.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1174000  
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Creepy Crawler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After some brainstorming, I thought I'd take a stab at rear dig. I am currently running stock electronics, there for I do not have any way to put a servo in operation, but I followed yaleforscale's advice and made my own rear dig. I began by removing the body, then proceeded to cut the brown wire and strip it. I had a 20amp automotive on/off switch out in the garage but the same switch at Auto Zone is $4.00. Make sure you don't grab a momentary switch. I knew I might want to be able to remove this switch so instead of soldering straight to the blade terminals on the switch, I also had some female type wire connectors in the garage that fit well on the terminals. I proceeded to solder these on both ends of the brown wire. (Just a quick note, these connectors were for larger gauge wire so I had to crimp them down on the wire instead of just twist in.) I then decided to mount the switch on the outside of the truck but not to detract from the overall look and appearance. I drilled a hole in the fender well, placed the switch in the hole, and tightened the plastic nut that came with the switch on the outside. I had to flip the switch over because I wanted the "On" or rear motor running to be in the up position and when I engage rear dig to be in the down or rear motor "Off". The installation was not hard at all and took me close to an hour, but that's because I suck at soldering. To truly see if I had accomplished anything, I placed the truck in my living room with juice to both motors, cut the wheel and hit the gas. I didn't measure it, but it's probably about an 8 foot circle to get this thing turned all the way around, which by the way required me to back up twice because of furniture. Round two, I flipped the switch down to engage the rear dig and pretty much cut my turning radius in half. Overall, I am am totally satisfied with this modification. The downside is not being able to control it from a distance but actually having to touch the truck to actuate it and the fact that the front motor has to work that much harder to pull the trucks weight on flat ground. As I said before, I am not running hobby grade hardware, so I am not able to work with a servo yet; but the upgrade is on my list. Here are a few photos to go with this modification: First, what you will need, then the wired switch followed by the installed switch in the up position and in the down position with the body installed. Enjoy, there will be more to come on my mods!

Name:	Ki18267.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1179654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63312.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1179655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42848.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1179656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13561.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1179657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30307.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1179658  
Old 04-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Creepy Crawler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry for the glare/blur. I never claimed to be good at taking phographs.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:50 PM
texx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Creepy Crawler ..

Good work on this switch ..

It is true that an ESC system would be preferable to control the switch, at a distance ..

But this is a good start ..

I have the same problem with the switch / winch .. I activated manually ..

The wire is ready for (( ESC ))

Thank for the pics ..
Old 04-14-2009, 05:55 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

great work there creepy crawler . i understand the problems with not being able to controll the switch here is a idea for you it may sound strange but a number of peopel have used this idea in the past with great success . to activate the dig switch buy remote on the cheap try a wireles door bell they can be bought for around $7.00 ..they have suprising good range of a 100 meters or more .. you would need to dissasemble it and install the small electronic board in your crawler . and the transmitter is very small about the size of a cigerett lighter so you could just carry that in your pocket here is a write up .. thanks ..[link]http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/10/08/wireless-doorbell-into-a-remote-control-relay-hack/[/link]....i understand that a relay is needed . instead of the speaker . iam sure don could elaberate on this more .thanks ..

Name:	Zx69934.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1180134  
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 AM
texx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THANK .. yaleforscale .. For this very good idea.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks texx not done it myself but know a few guys that have .. we find a use for everything texx .lol.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
KE4QPF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yaleforscale

great work there creepy crawler . i understand the problems with not being able to controll the switch here is a idea for you it may sound strange but a number of peopel have used this idea in the past with great success . to activate the dig switch buy remote on the cheap try a wireles door bell they can be bought for around $7.00 ..they have suprising good range of a 100 meters or more .. you would need to dissasemble it and install the small electronic board in your crawler . and the transmitter is very small about the size of a cigerett lighter so you could just carry that in your pocket here is a write up .. thanks ..[link]http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/10/08/wireless-doorbell-into-a-remote-control-relay-hack/[/link]....i understand that a relay is needed . instead of the speaker . iam sure don could elaberate on this more .thanks ..
Don't think it will work, Nat. The problem here is that a relay relies on a constant low-level current to operate the switching mechanism for the higher-level current you are attemtping to control. Because the output to the speaker is being modulated, it will cause fluctuations in your low-level current side, thus making the relay flicker. This would cause multiple problems for whatever you have connected to the load side of the relay as you could very well surge the component the relay is being wired to.

IMHO, New Bright does have some pretty decent ESCs that can be used on 4 different frequency channels and can be extremely exploited. Especially when using relays to carry power. Of course, we do know that the NB ESC cannot handle a whopping amount of amps going down the line, but I did find something that can change our whole theory of how big of a motor we can run off of one...

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/PicoSwitch.htm

PicoSwitch radio controlled relay

Product ID:

PicoSwitch
Price: $19.99

Weight:
7.6g/0.27oz

International
Shipping: $1.25

Specifications: Max relay voltage: 60VDC, 125VAC
Max relay current: 1A @ 24VDC, 0.5A @ 125VAC (60W lightbulb)
Relay resistance: 100 mΩ max
3.5V to 5.5V operating voltage (on servo pigtail)
30mA typical draw from receiver

Note: PicoSwitch has a maximum voltage rating of 125VAC, meaking it unsuitable for toggling 220VAC applications.

Dimensions: 0.75" x 0.62" x 0.62"
20mm x 16mm x 16mm
12 inch servo pigtail
Applications: Control of lighting systems on RC planes, boats, cars.
Control of digital cameras in aerial photography.
Control of auxiliary weapons in RC combat tournaments.
Control of low power home lighting systems.
Control of nearly any low powered application that can be toggled with a switch.

How's that for a brilliant find?

Here's a demo with simple 125VAC Christmas tree lights: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...xmaslights.wmv

Because this is a relay, there is no need to worry about polarity. You just need to figure out how to convert a 2-wire NB ESC over to the 3-wire system this takes. I think you came up with something for this, right Nat? Or was it texx?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i understand don yes the pico switch seen those before infact i posted it in the hbx section nice peice of kitt .. ohh well back to the brain storming .lol..
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ohh sorry don i should read more .lol..these are great but dont think they will work either with stock n.b you still need a hobby grade reciever for them to function .. thanks don .
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 AM
KE4QPF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, there's also toys like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-Logisys-RM01...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-15-2009, 11:40 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW WOW WOW ..[8D][8D][8D]. yes don were did you get that idea they look great i think i just wet myself .lol.... cheap to they are just the ticket compact to take my hat of to you don . any idea of the range ??
Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
KE4QPF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've seen reports of anywhere from 40-80 feet.

Here's the company's website page for this item... http://logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.a...M01&DID=REMOTE

...and an installation diagram to boot:

They also have a 4-circuit job as well... http://logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.a...M04&DID=REMOTE
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

don that looks great i think you found the answer for the rear dig switch not to mention other things it could be used for like a winch ey texx ..
Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
texx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If this system works well, it would be a good thing for the winch, and perhaps the light kit ..

Good job search KE4QPF ( DON ) and yaleforscale ..[sm=thumbup.gif]

Old 04-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Creepy Crawler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Texx
On your winch switch, what type of switch did you use? I am having trouble finding a switch that works in 3 positions. On/Off/Reverse power Is there a more tecnical name for this or what. The guy at radio shack told me that they don't carry anything like that. It's basically like a window switch in a car though. Up/Off/Down Any help would be great.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:56 PM
texx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Creepy Crawler

Texx
On your winch switch, what type of switch did you use? I am having trouble finding a switch that works in 3 positions. On/Off/Reverse power Is there a more tecnical name for this or what. The guy at radio shack told me that they don't carry anything like that. It's basically like a window switch in a car though. Up/Off/Down Any help would be great.
################################################## #########
On my thread BIG-CRAWLER

I have purchased my switch .. I chose the model which automatically returns to center .. DPDT 20-Amp Momentary Flip Switch
$ 4.59 us .. $ 7,99 CDN
Model: 275-709

Buy at the store THE SOURCE formerly RADIO SHACK ..

Enough switches to make you flip!

Get things started with this DPDT momentary flip switchspring-loaded to return to the center off position. Rated 20 amps at 12VDC.

I will keep your finger on the switch during its operation .. This will be a protection, not to break the wire ..

Blue wire + brown wire = winch

center = battery pos + neg

###############################################

Old 04-17-2009, 05:09 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

looking good texx a winch would be a sinch WOW that ryhms .lol..
Old 04-17-2009, 06:02 PM
KE4QPF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yaleforscale

looking good texx a winch would be a sinch WOW that ryhms .lol..
^^^- poet and don't know it.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i like to think so don .lol..[X(]
Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 PM
KE4QPF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey texx... down here in Red, White, and Blue-land, we still call 'em RadioShack.

...turned into...

RadioShack Canada was sold and the new owners decided to change the name. I think it's quite stupid, considering every other attempt to call a RadioShack something other than a RadioShack has failed...

Anyone remember these???:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incredible_Universe
Old 05-09-2009, 03:28 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i dont remmber that name over here don but i do remmember that radio shack in the u,k was rebranded , they named it tandy or in some citys intertan ,,lol. dont think they did much over here maplin got the strong hold and still remains today ..

Name:	Tr50683.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1194848