Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

xmod wont work!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default xmod wont work!

awhile ago, i bought a xmod skyline(the new skyline) and very shortly it stopped working. ive read that the controlers in the street series often fail. i dont want to put more money into this thing(car, plus motor, lights, 4wd, already spent $100)
any ideas how i can fix.
if not, anyone interested in parts?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:56 PM
cobra69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: xmod wont work!

I've only run the gen 1 & evos ,not familiar with the new street series.The only problem i've had is the controller batt losing contact.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
KE4QPF

Well, let's try to diagnose what's going wrong...

Does the controller still send a signal to the receiver? Does the ESC react to any commands from the controller? The easiest way to find out if anything is coming through is to put the rig upside-down on a table and see if any of the motors (servo, drive, etc.) are struggling to run. 9 times out of 10, it's usually due to a weak motor in the mix, not the signal coming in. If you get nothing at all, then trace back from there by probing the ESC leads going to the motors. The drive motor should be getting a voltage similar to the voltage of your battery... no ESC I know of reduces the voltage on the output side. If you get low voltage, you've got an ESC going bad. If you get nothing, then it's probably your receiver taking a dive (most likely a cracked crystal) as ESC's usually don't go dead all at once unless an internal fuse has blown (a simple fix), or you've fried the ESC (only happens when putting in voltages over 3VDC higher than the specs.) A VOM is a handy tool when you need to check this stuff. Good ones can run anywhere from $20-60, but you can find cheap ones for $3-5 at Harbor Freight Tools and sometimes at Sears in the "el cheapo" tools.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the car does nothing. i turn it on, the green underlight comes on, but the front wheels dont turn nor does the motor. the car makes no sounds at all.
it seems like the controler would be the issue, but i dont see anything wrong with it either. iv opened it up, and cant see any loose contacts or anything else obvious.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:28 PM
KE4QPF

I think you might have a problem between the controller and the receiver. Lots of people have experienced problems where the wire antenna becomes unsoldered from the receiver. This would cause problems at long range, but wouldn't be an issue when you're right on top of the thing. I would take the controller into a hobby shop and have them check the oscillation rate of the crystal in the transmitter and receiver units. If the remote controller took a dive, the crystal could have cracked, thus leading to no functionality. Likewise, if the receiver unit got jarred to heavily, the crystal could have become cracked or unseated. A good hobby shop will give you the answers you need for free, and the crystals are relatively cheap since these units run on Amplitude Modulation. Since I don't have your rig sitting in front of me, I can't go much further than that, but, since you state the motors don't run, and it's highly unlikely that EVERY motor died at the same time unless you zapped the thing with too much voltage or drew too many amps, it's not likely your ESC is blown. Have you been able to measure a voltage coming out of the ESC? If you get a voltage, then your motors are fried. If not, the receiver is not getting a signal.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
wizard0ne0

ok KE4QPF I don't mean to sound mean but xmods do not have a separate receiver and esc, it is a setup more closely related to that of a mini-z or micro-t, where the esc, receiver, and servo electrics are all in a single package, the only way to replace the electronics is to replace it in it's entirety, or if you are good with a soldering iron you may be able to replace parts on the electronic board until the problem is resolved, the weak point in the board are the FET's which a simple google search will show you what they look like and you are unable to replace the crystals on the xmod "street" cars.  I would go to radioshack and borrow the controller to their demo car and see if it works on your car, make sure that the frequency on the remote matches exactly to the one on the car, if that is the problem then buy a matching remote off of ebay.