Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

NB 1974 Cadillac coupe Deville w/hydraulics

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

NB 1974 Cadillac coupe Deville w/hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:39 PM
darksideofasaucerfulofsecrets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NB 1974 Cadillac coupe Deville w/hydraulics

Check out this recent find from Ebay, it is a classic 1974 Cadillac Coupe Deville with some sort of imitation hydraulics.It is not here yet, but I have some pictures from the auction. It is a new bright "snoop dogg" edition 1/10 scale Cadillac. It is new without box and also comes with a goofy looking snoop dogg toy. Hopefully it will be a good project, Iwant to work on the hydraulics to try and make them more realistic and also add an aftermarket motor for a little more speed. Will post more pics and info as I get them. If anyone has experience with one of these or ideas for mods, let me know.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48269.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1318019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30037.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1318020  
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 PM
texx

Default RE: NB 1974 Cadillac coupe Deville w/hydraulics

COOL 1974 Cadillac Coupe Deville ..

You'll have fun with this hydraulics car ..

This will be followed ..

Just for fun ..

Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 PM

I would love to get some looks like that with my hydraulics. 3 wheelin down the street would be entertaining! Any ideas with the hydraulics or anything Texx?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
texx

I'm sorry, I have no idea of this system .. Perhaps REBULDER ?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 PM

I would love to see what REBUILDER could do with this!It already has a very realistic aspect to it, very nice true body lines, fenders and front end. In the hands of REBUILDER it would be set over the top, especially with some suspension/hydraulic work to it
Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 AM
rc theman

maybe use 4 servos for each corner of the chassis and have a radio to match so then you could lower/raise reac corrner to suit? can be done but will be complicated!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:07 AM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, cool............ I just saw it now and I'm at work so I'll look at it more later today. Is it around 20" or so? You could probably find a way to keep the stock hydraulics and add hobby grade motor and servo and still control it with the factory radio while the motor and steering is disabled
Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
rebuilder

Home for lunch.....................First thing to go are those lame black bumper guards on the front and rear!!! I see LED headlights going in nicely........taillamps too. The tires may need a look, are they "plastc", if so you can find hobby grade rubber tires and with alot of searching you can probably find some pretty close to the size. I'd paint it jet black. You can actually pretty much dosmantle toy grade stuff and take off all the chrome by cutting off the ends of the little tabs that hold them on with glue. You leave enough where you can still glue them back on...............mirrors, bumpers, door handles etc..............
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 PM

The goofy toy looking front and rear bumpers are always the first to go to establish a better stock profile.  I was thinking a nice black as well, or a very dark blue or green.  Where are some good places to look to find tires to go on the stock rims? Any sugestions for steering servo or motor to swap? It still hasn't arrived yet, but as soon as I get it and get back into town after Thanksgiving I will post up some more pics and show what the hydraulics (stock) can do.  What is thought about the 4 extra servo idea posted by rc theman? Would it just give me height adjustment or could I bounce and jump a little? Thanks for the help REBUILDER and RC theman.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
rebuilder

I cant sit here on the computer for the amount of time it would take to find the exact tire, but first you have to measure the rim diameter and what you will need for an overall outside diameter. Here is an example of a tire you might consider: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKKW0&P=ML

or these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNUA8&P=7

ot these: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM982&P=7
Old 11-23-2009, 11:18 PM

I liked the look of that last pair a lot! I didn't mean to imply you help look for them, I just wanted a few websites you have used for your projects that will have a good variety to look through for the size I will need.  I am new to the hobby and wouldn't know where to look other then ebay and they have a moderate selection but I imagine their are better places to look for r/c parts especially tires! Thanks again for the help rebuilder, what do you think about using stock transmitter and electronics to drive it and installing a second set of electronics to control the imitation hydraulics... Just a thought.[&:]
Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 PM
rebuilder

I know you werent asking me to do the lookin, i did find those three for you and if you go to tower hobbies and search for "tire" you will pull up thousands.......and then go to rcplanet etc..............I would do just the opposite, and install a hobby grade steering servo, motor and esc, then use the stock to run the hydraulics. The stock unit does not come with proportional steering and speed i would bet.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 AM

Might be a stupid question but what all do I need to replace to get it more proportional. I know I need an Electric speed control, and a receiver and servo but what else is needed. I have tried looking up wiring diagrams for rc cars but I can't pull up anything to inform me of what all I  need as far as a parts list and what plugs in where... I think the tires on the Cadillac are rubber but I am sure they are hard and not the best tread pattern.  I will look around once it arrives in the mail. Does anyone have or know where a good wiring diagram is so I can start a shopping list and know what all I am going to need and why.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 AM
tommygun32

Here's some pics of the real '74 Cadillac Snoop Deville...

1st pic is a side shot.

2nd pic is the hydraulics system install.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98172.jpg
Views:	1881
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1319640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10791.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1319641  
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Never hurts to ask I always say, nice pics I will try to google it to find some more pics, don't necessarily want to keep with the "snoop dogg" theme, but it does look pretty good. I was thinking more of a darker color like the black Cadillac Texx pictured above. Thanks for the comments and info!
Old 11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
rebuilder

For an esc, this is the one i always use, the best bang for the buck, and up to 7 cells: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAMN7&P=ML you need to find out what motor it uses......probably a 380, if so you should consider this motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLLT5&P=ML you need a radio system if you dont have one, they are dirt cheap now for a radio and reciever/servo combo. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX2**&P=7

I dont know the wheel size or how they connect, but with a gloss black paint job imagine how these would look: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJDS3&P=7

These may fit better..........2.5 inches diameter http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLST4&P=7
Old 11-24-2009, 05:57 PM

OOOOOH I really like those tires! Wish the Caddy would get here so I could start taking measurments before I leave town to see if those tires would fit!!!  So on the motor topic, how do I "find out" what motor it uses? Other then comparing size I have no knowledge of electric motors. 
As far as a hobby grade shopping list I need...
1. ESC, like and have seen the one REBUILDER posted above and seems like a good price
2. Nice high RPM motor to nearly match size of stock motor
3. reciever/servo combo (no I don't have one, just stock toy grade receivers)
4. Battery to match the ESC
Anything I am missing or any parts I still don't know about let me know.
Thanks again for all the help REBUILDER[8D]

Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 PM
rebuilder

Have you done anything?????????????????????????
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 PM

It just finally arrived in the mail yesterday after I complained to ebay and they got the seller moving.  I took off the front and rear black bumpers and gave it a test run today.  It showed up and it has three tires with "flat spots" on them just like my 1/6 scale NB rockcrawler! I have some smaller tires from a car I got from flea market for parts that will fit, but they are not white walls like the stock tires and they don't look as good.  This will motivate me to start looking for a new pair of tires if not a whole set!  It is very loud, I need to take off the body and clip the wires and take out the speaker inside.  It makes uncontrolable sound-effects and voices when doing hydraulics (which move very little). I am low on time and high on lots of other things. Busy is my middle name
Still fishing for ideas with hydraulics, is their a transmitter out their that could control the driving and hydraulics aspect from the same transmitter? How can I use servos to get 4 points of adjustment with the hydraulics?
Will post pics soon, just got back from California two days ago from Thanksgiving. Got some good rockcrawling done up their, made me long for my 4 th gear mod!!![:@]
Old 12-04-2009, 11:53 PM

Also still need to know how to tell what size of motor is stock so I can size the replacment one to go with ESC, receiver, transmitter etc. Any advice?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 AM
rebuilder

Measure the can diameter, and length too if you want. Its probably a 28mm can diameter (380). If so you can get the duratrax 380 high rpm motor for the vendetta................dont get the "ultra" high rpm motor.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the recommendation away from the ultra high rpm motor, I had my eye on it.  How is the DuraTrax Photon Speed 2 Motor, do you have any first hand experience with it REBUILDER?
Also, I am having trouble figuring out how to get the wheels off of the axles to dismantle rear axle and take a look at gearing and the stock motor.  Any suggestions or tips? Thanks for all the feedback on the Cadillac[8D]
Old 12-05-2009, 12:25 PM
rebuilder

I've ran into that on a couple of my conversions with wheels that dont come off. You have to get a very short screwdriver to unscrew the motor and transmission caps, and the whole drivetrain usually comes completely in half leaving two half axles portions, with the split tranny in the middle.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 PM

I will look into that, it surely seems like they do not want to come off and I sure don't want to break them. Thanks for the advice, it sort of looks like it might come in half if I take out the screws.  Thanks for the tip REBUILDER
Old 12-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Have my first mods made to the 74' Cadillac Deville.  First things first, as soon as it is turned on a built in speaker produces a loud engine starting and idle sound.  The volume level can not be muted or adjusted so it was the first thing to go.  Had to take the frame off chassis and took out small circuit board and wires with small speaker.  Also had some extra lights sitting around from a flea market take apart so it now has 2 of the 4 headlights working and the taillights working.  It is just wired to a 9 volt battery that is taped under the trunk.  I will try to get more pics up soon when I get some time to upload.  Hydraulics are controlled by 2 servos that raise and lower front and rear end.  I can't see how I could mod it to get 4 points of adjustment to obtain a real hydraulic look. After pics, possibly someone will have an idea or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.