Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

nikko project in the works....centipede

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

nikko project in the works....centipede

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default nikko project in the works....centipede

so i bought a nikko centipede(smaller version of the fast traxx)
i knew that it would not have proportional controls, but i was disapointed when i got it and found out that it could only turn to the left. it was NO fun to drive at all.

so i started of thinking of ways to make it work.
1st i tried using a mini T rx/esc unit to control throttle, and a servo to send power to the motor i wanted. this can be done, but i couldnt get a switch or make one that worked right.
so i went to plan B, using 2 speed controls and a 4ch airplane radio. one speed control is on the throttle channel, the other speed control is on the elevator channel. and it does work.
there are still some problems. i have 2 different speed controls. one reasponds better than the other(higher quality ESC) thus, the 2 sticks dont power the tracks exactly the same.
also, on the radio...the elevater stick is spring loaded. the returns that ESC to neutral. the throttle stick isnt spring loaded, which means i have to "find" neutral myself.
i may take apart the radio and make the throttle stick spring loaded. and if i can find a cheap tamiya ESC to match the one i already have then i will buy it(any one have an old one they are not using)
the tracks dont have any idle wheels, so they dont have any support. the tracks are also a bit loose. so i am going to ad an axle with front mini t wheels to give extra support and take the slack out of the tracks. i may also add something to the tracks to give them more bit(any ideas)
right now i am powering both ESC's off one SMC 800mah 2s lipo. but i may try to fit a larger lipo(or perhaps 2 lipos) for more power/runtime.
in the pics the electronics are just sitting on the chassis for testing. i will make a flat plate to firmly mount everything later on.
i have a mini t body i stuck on for kicks. but i also have a mini Raminator(mlst) body that might fit better.
if you guys have any ideas, please let me hear them!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86986.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	1438096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87989.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1438097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67261.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	1438098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25666.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	1438099  
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: nikko project in the works....centipede

One of these would work great with it. I put one in a cheap toy tank and it drives like something much more expensive, night and day difference. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X5RC.htm Basically, it's just 2 fully proportional/reversable ESCs built into one small unit, but it makes setting up something like this really simple. They have built in mixers too, so you can just use your RC car pistol grip radio to run it.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
zman5000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: nikko project in the works....centipede

there is some very cool stuff on that site, that dual 25a speed control would be perfect for a r/c tank.