Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Maisto Rock Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
stw9495

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maisto Rock Crawler

After I saw these in my local Wal-Mart I had to have one.

I made a video review, but I don't have it up yet.

Basically, it's a good buy for the money, it hasadequate torque, probably more than you'd expect. Speed is about right, steering is alright, seeing as there are no diffs, but none of it is proportional, and when you turn while driving it slows down. Dual motor setup is ok, but I worry when one set of wheels stops,it seems like it's killing the motor. Tires aren't the greatest, just thin and squishy, compound is stiff. But all in all it will climb a lot more than anything else in that aisle at wally world, an rightfully so, the simple ball and socket suspension setup work really well. Pretty much what it can get it's tires on, it will climb.

It's (of course) not something pro, but it's not meant to be. It's well designed for what it's meant for, very mild crawling and offroading. $30 is a great price, so I'd highlyrecommendone. My only big pet peeve is the 6 AAs it takes to power the truck.

I'll have my review videos edited and up asap. Until then, here are some pictures of the truck, and yes, it has climbed over these obstacles with relative ease... (they're screenshots from a video) steepest I've seen it go was probably more than a 45 deg. angle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-MaistoCrawlerMOV-1.png
Views:	2221
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	2237870

Name:	Screenshot-FILE0030MOV-1.png
Views:	1048
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	2237871

Name:	Screenshot-FILE0028MOV-1.png
Views:	664
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	2237872

Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 PM
zman5000

Default RE: Maisto Rock Crawler

i've got 2 of those and i concur with all you said, the motors look the same as a new bright crawler( maybe dyno time) and i think a 2cell 800mah lipo will fit the battery box, that would give it much more power. the aa's don't have punch like the lipo's do.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:21 PM
stw9495

well the rear motor is weaker...but it's a 130, so anything would drop in. I've put this thing through stuff I'd never expect it climb. just need some GOOD batts tho

also, anyone notice it has smaller summit tires?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 AM
zman5000

i did install a 2 cell lipo in the thing and what a difference. it's an old losi 800mah and i had to take the top off the crawler to get to the wires and had to dremel out the battery tray so the hatch cover would close. doing this almost got rid of the clod stall, and the steering is much quicker also. the next thing is the wheels look like they might fit 1.9 tires, i'm going to the lhs to find out.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
stw9495

Wow dude you got some initiative! I'd really like to see what you find out, and I'll bet a lipo would make it talk. Really it needs to be proportional, geared down, and with better tires...so I really gave up on trying to mod it. But thats awesome.

stock trim on some 35 or so degree waterfalls

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBWGohQHhe8
Old 09-05-2010, 03:58 PM
zman5000

nice video, i did put some proline 1.9 chisels on mine with some lead behind the front skidplate and it's even better. i don't have terrain around herelike you have, so i have to go to piles of rocks, and the chisel's have so much traction the maisto speed control can't supply enough power to the motors. i'm just going to run it until it melts down and then maybe put a fxr in it.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:26 PM
stw9495

hahah! do what u gotta do!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
redneckabbott

Can u give a link for the batteries u installed? Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, if u are after more speed ive found by replacing the Toy grade ECS with a Proportional one it make one hell of a diffrence. something like the tamiya TEU-103BK would work a treat.

I fitted on of those to a massive Nikko hummer, on its stock battery my 2yo could sit on it & get a ride, but the only thing way it was not very strong, i crashed it into a poll & it ripped the from diffhousing apart
ive still got it but it needs a hole new chassis
Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 PM
redneckabbott

I played with it the night my buddy bought his son this crawler. His son was asleep so me and his dad "tested" it for him lol. We was happy with speed. I didn't like that the back tires wouldn't pull while the front spun or other way around. The batteries seem to really hold it back and replacing them gets expensive if you don't have rechargeable.  The suspension articulates nicely. I was able to get it to crawl ontop of 2 power wheel batteries that was stacked. (i have video of it i'm going to post on youtube) It looked like the front bumper and body keeps it from flexing as much as the rear does. That's about all of my thoughts on the crawler

Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM
zman5000

that's why i installed a 2 cell lipo to help with the clod stall(that's what they call it when the front axle pulls and the rear axle stalls) a 2 cell lipo 800 mah is only about $25 at the lhs, and it's really not that difficult to in stall if you have a dremel tool, just hog out the battery compartment until the battery fits and you can close the hatch. i'm no genious and i did it.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
phmaximus

tru about the Lipo been cheap, but the expencive part is the charger my Imax B5 was $70. ummm just wondering are u running a Lipo Saver/low voltage cut off?????

Seriously Guys dont play with LIPO's if u havent done your Research. It will end in tears.

this is what happens to them after a hard crash
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0g_XLVFQE&feature=fvst[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btAD-gHIjG0[/youtube]

This is from incorrect charging
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWdnjLqVWw[/youtube]

All this can happen if the battery is to flat when charging, Never charge a Lipo inside a house or with out a fire bag.
If any of the cells are below 2.7v dont charge, dispose of battery proplary

I still believe that a Proportional ESC would solve the cloging, but then u would need a proper radio gear & make the steering Proportional. could end up costing a bit tho
Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
zman5000

an 800mahlipo in the maisto crawler will give about1 hour run time. and for a charger go to hobbyking.com and get a do allcharger for 25 bucks. i've had a turnigy accucell 6 for3 years and paid 28 bucks for it, and now they are cheaperand they charge anything.and if i ever decide to get nervous about a lipo i'll get one of those $4.00 lipo cutoffs.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
phmaximus

ok cool i was worried that u dident know about the dangers of lipo's

i use a Yeah racing 2c 4000mah & 3c 2200mah & 4200mah batterys for my cars & a plane & i use a novak low voltage cut off for the brushed ones & the brushless have it built into the ESC. with the cost of how much my r/c cars are worth & the replacement of the battery I would be stupid not to use them, & I use the yeah racing fire bags because ive had forum buddies that would of lost there house if it was not for these bags. US$28 sounds cheap for ya charger but 3 years ago that would of nearly been AUD$60 so it kinda works out i gess. Just be carefull using cheap Lipo's & cut off's.... u get what u pay for
Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM
zman5000

yes i understand about the lipo bags, but that presumes that everyone handles their lipo's the same. i don't even balance mine, from my experience the only time you have to balance a lipo is when it is fully discharged. i just top them up between heats, or have a spare for the heli, and top up the one that just ran. no problems in 3 years.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
phmaximus

come on thats like saying im not going to get car insurance because i havent crashed in 3 years.
The chances are u wont have a problem, but the thing is, when it goes wrong..... it goes wrong
Do u at least check the cells?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 PM
zman5000

actually i don't check them i only run 2s and 3s lipos, in r/c cars, the thing with the cars is that you have a 5000mah lipo and you only use 1250mah ina 7 minute heat race.in the crawler you can run 6 courses and use up only 40% of the battery. the heli i only fly it for 5 minutes at a time usually as the wind around here hasn't stopped blowing all summer, so i don't abuse my batteries so i have no problems.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM
redneckabbott

Thought I'd share the video of me playing with his toy....[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1XxZox7Qs[/youtube]
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM
zman5000

yes nice vid,and at least 10 times more fun than a losi micro rock crawler and 1/4 the price. this is what the 1.9's should have been.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 PM
zman5000

and today i see the maisto crawler on ebay for $56.99! what a ripoff as they are 30 bucks at wally world. those retailers probably go to wally world, buy them and mark them up.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM
traxxas_guru

meh, i have one of these and i like it however it has like no torque. it just stops when the boing gets tough.
i think the motors are 130 size, am i right?
if so could i use two of these?

130S
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4194

or this
130L
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4203

and two of these esc's
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6456

Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 PM
zman5000

just do like i did and put a small 2 cell lipo in it and it transforms the thing. those 800mah batteries cost only about if i remember $25.00 and an hour of run time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90042.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1523204  
Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have seen these sold on ebay for over $60!!!
LOL, they only cost $30 at walmart!
maybe i should buy a bunch and sellem
Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
zman5000

i was at wally world yesterday and they can't keep them in stock. and they still are 30 bucks, tower has them at 40 bucks. so apparentlyeveryone is buying them from wallyworld and reselling them,thegreedy peoplenever sleep.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM
volkstony

i found these at the nellis afb bx for 29.95 and no tax i was wondering are they fun i also have a redcat rs10 i know it would not compare to that but the maisto looks really neat. i would upgrade to a nimh battery pack if i get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.