Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Plug temp vs. header temp

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM
ejc34710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug temp vs. header temp

Hey fellas maybe you can help me out with this question. My friend just got an OS 18 cv-r for his first gen t-maxx. I broke it in without much trouble, and after the sixth tank i started to tune it in. After some pretty good runnin' i checked the temp at the plug and the reading was 222. But i noticed the exhaust was smoking, literally smoking, not exhaust gases but burning left over oil. I checked the temp at the header where it meets the crankcase and it was 377. I fired up my 3.3 t-maxx, got it to temp, and the readings from the plug and header were pretty close, within 15 degrees. Anyone know whats going on or if this is normal. His exhaust is pretty old (some dynamite header/pipe combo, held together with 3 little springs instead of a coupler) i dont think there is a leak where the header and pipe meet, but there might be a little one if that even matters. I just don't want to run it anymore without being sure that nothing is going on and this is normal, but i dont know. Help??
Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
thechap76
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: Plug temp vs. header temp

sounds like ur a lil rich...prolly on the both the lsn and the hsn...engine temps are good i like to run mine between 230 and 245... what % nitro are you running.,..that to will make the exhaust gasses higher
Old 09-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Mclovin350z

Forget the header, just read the temp at the bottom of the head. Mine always run a few degrees hotter at the bottom of the head. The header is thin and will heat up much faster than the head. When smoke comes off the header like you described it means you're too lean.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:20 PM
ejc34710

Im running o'donnel 20% r2r. Yea, the plug is around 220 at the max (still rich, only 7 tanks through new engine but it still hauls compared to trx .15). I did a couple things tonioght. I took exaust apart, resealed, and put a new header gasket on it (the OWNER of my LHS told me my gasket was bad) put it back together and it still did the same thing. But, i was cheking temps at the header right after high speed runs. The temp still said around 360 at the header. But after like 10 seconds of idling, i checked temp again at the header and it was like 300 degrees, so after 15-25 seconds of idling the header is the same temp as plug. So im definatly gathering everything is ok. He still needs new exhaust (its gotta be older than dirt and not right for the OS .18 but it'll work) but its ok to drive it. You guys think im ok?? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 PM
ejc34710

no, its not lean, thats the thing. The low end is Soooooo sluggish but i have the high end just a little rich (still a few mph to squeeze but not after its a little more broke in). The plug temp never goes beyond 230. Thats what had me puzzled-220 plug, 370 header.....
Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exhaust air leak....air gets in.....fuel in exhaust (from being rich) ignites.....exhaust heats up............my best guess. Check the exhaust for leaks.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM
ejc34710

Exhaust air leak, thats what i thought and thats what the owner of my LHS said. But i just took the entire exhaust off and reselaed it. New header to pipe gasket and new header gasket and it still does it. Still gets at least over 100 degrees hotter than the plug. But after about 20 seconds of idling the exhaust us the same temp as the plug. Stinkin gremlins, iono, maybe the exhaust is wrong for the engine, i really dont know. Thanks for the help though, anyone else?? Maybe you guys do a couple high speed runs or just drive the crap outta it and take the 2 seperate temps and tell me what you get..... Thanks again fellas.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Mclovin350z

Just make sure it's making plenty of smoke and forget about the header temps. You'll know if it's leaking out the exhaust.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:30 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

ejc34710 , i also noticed that the header is always hotter than the plug after hard running, and its fine. dont worry about it.