Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Fuel question 3.3 maxx

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 PM
ejc34710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel question 3.3 maxx

Ok fellas, im a little boggled. I recently purchased a used 3.3 maxx (AM version). Got it for 180.00 and its a great truck for the price. Only thing that was wrong was a busted hinge pin, RX battery with a bad cell, no concave washer on slipper, and engine badly out of tune. I have always used O'Donnel fuels (used to race on road 1/10th touring around 1999-2000 and got out of car rc's, went to planes and helis) and went back to them after returning to the rc car thing a few months ago. A buddy of mine has a T-maxx classic and just got an OS 18 cvr for it. He was running Sidewinder 20% nitro 12% oil in the TRX .15 that was in it when he got it (fuel came with truck as bought used also), but switched to 20% O" Donnel R2R before breaking in the OS per manufacterers recomendations. As i understand the O' Donnel has "O Donnel lube 18%" in it. So he had this 1/4 gallon of Sidewinder from the TRX .15 left over just sitting in my workshop. I was outta nitro, and still run the 3.3 that came with my truck. He wasn't gonna use it so i figured i'd give it a go in my engine, i really wanted to drive. Now usually i run the same O' Donnel fuel, 20% 18% oil, and my engine stays around 250-270 when ran hard. Filled up the tank about half ways of this Sidewinder 20% 12% oil and fired it up. I couldn't beleive it. The thing ran soooo much better, way more bottom end, noticebly more top end, and just ran smoother in general. Got it up to temp and checked it and was surprised to see it read 215 degrees. Leaned out the top end a little and got even more speed outta it, left it alone at that and never got above 250 degrees. So, what gives? I would have thought i would of had to richen it up a bit due to the less oil content. It is ok to run 12% oil in the TRX 3.3? Just lookin for some opinions or advice as to whats going on... If 12% is enough, im definatly sticking with this fuel. Thanks in advance.
Oh and BTW, it was right around the same weather conditions when i switched fuel as it was the last time i drove it with the o donnel.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Mclovin350z

Default RE: Fuel question 3.3 maxx

You're heading in the right direction!! LOL. I just switched to Byron fuels gen 2 30%. I'm going to get some 20% and mix it when I get a chance though, I wanted 25%. It made ALL of my engines run way better and cooler. I have a 3.3, OS 18tm, Picco 21, Losi 454, and a sirio s27.The extra oil is what heats up your engine and clogs one-way bearings.High oil%fuel isdesigned for people who don't know how to tune well. Byron's is 11% which is low, but still plenty safe. Your O'donnell R2R fuel is 16% and their "race fuel" is 14%. If 11% scares you then get O'donnell 20% race blend (14% oil), it's pretty good.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Lord Maccrage

Default RE: Fuel question 3.3 maxx

I'm running 20% losi nitrotane in my 3.3 right now. I used to run odonnel 20%, but the nitrotane seems to run a little bit cooler.