Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

snow + t-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM
jord_trx2.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow + t-maxx

how do i fully waterproof my t-maxx. i have it totally standard at the moment but i having been using it in the snow and things have started going wrong, the foward reverse servo is just twitching pulling it in and out of gear and the throttle servo seems to have a mind of its own so im guessing the snow has caused the problems, i want to make it waterproof but with a low budget, any help/advice appreciated
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: snow + t-maxx

ORIGINAL: jord_trx2.5

how do i fully waterproof my t-maxx. i have it totally standard at the moment but i having been using it in the snow and things have started going wrong, the foward reverse servo is just twitching pulling it in and out of gear and the throttle servo seems to have a mind of its own so im guessing the snow has caused the problems, i want to make it waterproof but with a low budget, any help/advice appreciated
If your servos get wet inside they will act up. Pull the servos out, open them up and dry them out. Then you can do what I do and use some RTV gasket sealer on the top and bottom of the servo case and around the wire harness. I usually put a liberal amount on and let it squeeze out as I tighten the screws down and let it set for 24 hours before using it again. It also helps if you run in snow to use compressed air to blow off as much moisture as possible as soon as you're done running to avoid any rust on the screws and any moisture getting into the electronics.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:17 PM
jord_trx2.5

ok thanks for advice, i know its not possible to fully waterproof the truck because of things like exhaust and air intake just want to make the electrics waterproof so that it can handle the snow, im not planning on running it through lakes etc..
Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: jord_trx2.5

ok thanks for advice, i know its not possible to fully waterproof the truck because of things like exhaust and air intake just want to make the electrics waterproof so that it can handle the snow, im not planning on running it through lakes etc..
I run my R/C's in the winter all the time. If you take the time to seal the servo cases and blow off as much as possible when you're done the electronics should work for a very long time.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
ReaperGN

Snow + T-Maxx = problems. Nitro engines really don't like very high or low temperatures. And unless you have all stainless steel or titanium screws things will start to rust which can caus some major issues when you try to disassemble your truck. As for water proofing I believe you should check you tube for videos by a guy named squirrel. Or you could upgrade to some water proof servos.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Massive690

RTV sealant or plasti dip (available at any hardware store) for the servos. Then put your receiver and battery in a balloon with a zip tie around the wire. It also helps to cut a used sock and put it around the engine cooling head. That will keep temps more stable and will help to protect the head frok the temperature swing if you flip it in the snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWncP...eature=related
Old 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Mclovin350z

Definitely wrap the head in something and richen the needle. You can help your electronics survive, but your wheel and diff bearings will gone in no time.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Bearings dont just fall apart at the first sight of water. No, they wont last as long, but they should be rubber sealed which will keep most of the water out since snow isnt going to be like driving in water.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Mclovin350z

I didn't mean they'd be gone in one tankful.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Bearings dont just fall apart at the first sight of water. No, they wont last as long, but they should be rubber sealed which will keep most of the water out since snow isnt going to be like driving in water.
I oil my wheel bearings before and after running in wet conditions - blowing the water/snow off helps from rust forming but even if it does form, its rarely enough to cause problems.. My engines usually temp pretty well with the body on - The only time I've ever had to use something on the heat to keep the heat in is on cold weather break-in and I've only done this one.

Its not going to fall apart or break at the first sight of water. Cold weather however will make the plastic parts more brittle so crashes can be more "lethal". Still - I wouldn't be afraid to run in rain or snow.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 PM
ReaperGN

Snow is worse than just water. Especially when it melts and finds a nice crevice to re freeze in.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: ReaperGN

Snow is worse than just water. Especially when it melts and finds a nice crevice to re freeze in.
Well, if you're smart you don't leave your nitros outside when its cold. I'm just speaking from many years of experience and years of faithful service from my r/c models. I've had to replace wheel bearings from running the crap out of my cars, not from rust or moisture problems because I blow my models off with compressed air every time and store them inside. With that said; to each their own.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 PM
ReaperGN

Running in snow will make every bearing and screw wear faster. Blowing it off with air wont replace the oil. If at all possible you should avoid running in rain or snow. Very few rc vehicles have a owners manual that says go run it in snow for a good reason.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:42 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Running in snow will make every bearing and screw wear faster. Blowing it off with air wont replace the oil. If at all possible you should avoid running in rain or snow. Very few rc vehicles have a owners manual that says go run it in snow for a good reason.
Thats why I oil my bearings. Like I said - to each their own. Oh.. and last I checked - water/snow wont make your screws "wear" faster. They might get a little surface rust on them if you're still running the crappy stock screws. Stainless screws dont rust and last a long time.

I'm done. I run in snow and my cars/trucks do not suffer any ill effects because of it. I take 'em apart once a year to clean them, re-lube the transmission, and oil all of the wheel bearings.

Running unbalanced tires will wear your bearings out faster though.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Mclovin350z

I have a crappy revo 2.5 chassis that I use for that. It gets all the hand me downparts off my good rigs. Even so, I rarely run in the winter, let alone snow. My good rigs are in storage withmy good engines removed and 'pickled'.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Jurgen1

Just run the damn thing and have fun with it . Of course i run some of my bashers in the winter/ snow we have fun  . I keep one at work and so do some of the guys at work and we run them after work whenever we feel like it snow or not .
Old 12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Radioman193

i run in water ALL the time ...

Its called PROPER care .

I have not needed to replace NOTHING on my truck.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1V-9TvFUPk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbFuTiZxF5E[/youtube]

Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Mclovin350z

Running in water is called proper care?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:37 PM
ReaperGN

Running in water is not proper care. Its called cleaning your bearings and forgetting that they need to be re oiled.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Radioman193

proper care
and Proper maintenance when you do.

i did not figure i needed to say " maintenance " as that IS a part of Proper care.
Logicly
and I did notthink i was talking to 10 year old kids.......... sorry........

If you drive a brand new car or a classic car all day on salty roads

Do you not wash and clean it at the end of the day?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:00 PM
ReaperGN

If it was why doesn't the manual say that?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Radioman193

If it was why doesn't the manual say that?

My last Post.
noNeed to be obstenet.