Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Clueless...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:23 PM
meef rustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clueless...

My brother's Tmaxx 3.3's front left outdrive yoke connected to the front dif broke and when you throttle the engine races and the vehicle doesn't move after I disconnected the front left drive shaft. What could be wrong?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Snook Man

Default RE: Clueless...

Well, since you disconnected the front wheel drive the problem is from the tranny back to the rear wheels (assuming the clutch bell is turning the spur gear).
Process of elimination will find the problem.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:52 PM
mjg3

I think disconnecting the drive from the left front is unloading all the power. kind of like doing a 360 and the inside front tire comes off the ground and spins so hard it turns the tire into a pizza cutter. providing its an open diff and not a locked diff.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Snook Man

ORIGINAL: mjg3

I think disconnecting the drive from the left front is unloading all the power. kind of like doing a 360 and the inside front tire comes off the ground and spins so hard it turns the tire into a pizza cutter. providing its an open diff and not a locked diff.
Truck should still move.
Yes the 3.3 has an open diff in the stock setup. Once either side of the diff is disconnected either by a break or removal of the wheel shaft no power is sent to the opposite side.
But…The 3.3 TMaxx is 4 wheel drive and if it is not moving there is an issue from the tranny back.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:12 PM
meef rustler

The wheels will move some when the truck is not touching the ground.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
meef rustler

Also, all the difs work properly by hand. When I turn the rear wheels forward, the front wheel and the rod from where the yoke connects spins the same way too.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM
meef rustler

Bump
Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
kyntar

Pull the front drive shaft so no power goes to front end. I broke a rear axle and truck wouldn't go till I puled the rear drive shaft. Drove it around that day on front wheel drive till I got home and replaced rear axle.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Snook Man

The TMaxx does not work like that ^^^^^^^^. It has a solid transmission output shaft and if power is being sent to it, equal power is then set to the front and rear of the output shaft.  Disconnecting the front or rear diff by removing a center shaft,  removing a wheel axle, stripping a wheel hex or breaking a hex pin (with an open diff) only eliminates front or rear wheel drive depending on where the disconnection is. The other diff being powered will still move the truck unless there is another disconnection.

The OP has eliminated front wheel drive by removing a wheel axle, still no movement with the truck on the ground. Other than the broken, then removed front wheel axle there is a problem somewhere from the slipper back to the rear wheels or the truck would still be driveable with rear wheel drive just like a SMaxx.

1<sup>st</sup> thing to look at would be your slipper clutch. Make sure it is working properly/tight and sending the engine power to the transmission. Also make sure the Clutch bell / spur gear mesh is correct.

2<sup>nd</sup> Check all wheel hexes, hex pins for broken pins or stripped hexes. Check the axles and center shaft grub screw pins make sure they are there and not broken.

3<sup>rd</sup> If the problem is still not found its time to open up the tranny and have a look inside for broken/stripped gears or pins.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 PM
meef rustler

Its the front left axle that the output yoke broke at
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM
mervman16

ORIGINAL: Snook Man

The TMaxx does not work like that ^^^^^^^^. It has a solid transmission output shaft and if power is being sent to it, equal power is then set to the front and rear of the output shaft. Disconnecting the front or rear diff by removing a center shaft, removing a wheel axle, stripping a wheel hex or breaking a hex pin (with an open diff) only eliminates front or rear wheel drive depending on where the disconnection is. The other diff being powered will still move the truck unless there is another disconnection.

The OP has eliminated front wheel drive by removing a wheel axle, still no movement with the truck on the ground. Other than the broken, then removed front wheel axle there is a problem somewhere from the slipper back to the rear wheels or the truck would still be driveable with rear wheel drive just like a SMaxx.

1<sup>st</sup> thing to look at would be your slipper clutch. Make sure it is working properly/tight and sending the engine power to the transmission. Also make sure the Clutch bell / spur gear mesh is correct.

2<sup>nd</sup> Check all wheel hexes, hex pins for broken pins or stripped hexes. Check the axles and center shaft grub screw pins make sure they are there and not broken.

3<sup>rd</sup> If the problem is still not found its time to open up the tranny and have a look inside for broken/stripped gears or pins.

4th if this does not work sell it and get a savage!!!!!!