Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

slowing down a 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 PM
quicdsm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slowing down a 3.3

Ihave a T Maxx 3.3 and im purchasing my 9 yr old son a jato 3.3 tomorrow so he can enjoy this hobby with me. This will be his first non toy rc and it will be way too much but i found one like new for 150 with electric start and 2.4 ghz. so its a great deal at a beginner price. Anyone have thoughts on how i can restrict the speed of it so he doesnt destroy it this week. Ive driven the jato 3.3. and it can be challenging. The price is why i jumped on this particular model. My concern is that if i limit the throttle by electronics he may foul plug after plug. Im new to nitro trucks so forgive me if this is a no brainer for some of you.

Thanks for thoughts.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
hoosier_rc_nut
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: slowing down a 3.3

You can mess with the spur/clutch bell gearing some by going bigger with your gears, but you have to watch your engine temps to make sure you don't fry your engine.....just a thought off the top of my head....
Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM
tristomp

the motor might jest be to old and need a new one
Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Marco810

I would adjust 2nd gear so it doesnt engage and run it on the rich side. coach him and he should do fine
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
stalefishsk8er

put bigger tires on it since the bigger the wheel the more it needs to spin but i won't go as big as those 8" tires i've seen but i might go as big as a t-maxx tire size
Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 PM
steed2-inactive

run a hot plug and adjust the linkage so he only gets 50 % throttle. run 25/12 fuel.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 PM
rc md

put a bigger throttle return spring on it or adjust in throttle servo like steed said
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 AM
Mclovin350z

It's nowhere near as fast as a jato. He'll be fine. Drop the gear ratio as low as possible by changing the clutch bell and spur. If you can get it low enough it'll be real easy to make it stay in first gear. Running rich or athalf throttle throttle probably isn't gonna work out too well for ya.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 AM
martinx71

lower the gearing ration on the spur, in the transmission, tighten the grub screw to make it shift as late as possible, run it rich, Adjust the collar on the linkages to make the servo only engage when he's pulling quite a ways. (so that he can't get full throttle.) or, if your transmitter has it, do an endpoint adjustment so he can't mess with it. As for larger tires, if you lower the gearing ratio, then it's gonna have the power to turn larger tires, and if you have the power, then larger tires make more speed since in one rotation they cover more ground. Personally, I wouldn't get larger tires. It's just gonna make it faster and harder to turn.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM
ajb1205

You could also simply place a small piece of foam (or something else that you can find) behind the trigger so it limits him from going WOT. If you are using a radio with epa, you could also just dial in a ton of it for the throttle, too.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ajb1205

You could also simply place a small piece of foam (or something else that you can find) behind the trigger so it limits him from going WOT. If you are using a radio with epa, you could also just dial in a ton of it for the throttle, too.
Exactly what I was going to say. It's quick, easy and effective.... The JATO 3.3 is a BEAST> I bought one when they first came out and had a blast with it, they are very fast!

Dirt Hawg Tires are a good investment if running off road in dirt or grass, the stock anacondas suck on anything but the road...
Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Mclovin350z

I just realized your son is getting the jato.....That's gonna be interesting lol.
ORIGINAL: Mclovin350z

It's nowhere near as fast as a jato. He'll be fine. Drop the gear ratio as low as possible by changing the clutch bell and spur. If you can get it low enough it'll be real easy to make it stay in first gear. Running rich or athalf throttle throttle probably isn't gonna work out too well for ya.