Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

i'm baffled !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 AM
russ81072

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm baffled !!

Ok here is the deal. I was running my maxx the other day, in my front yard, running it up and down the street and through the grass,
and all of a sudden the rear end stop moving, i had front wheel drive not four wheel drive.
i took the diff apart and the trans and i can not for the life of me figure out what the heck happened. the gears in the diff and the trans are fine and not chewed up or missing teeth.
can any of you guys give any suggestions to check other than what i have already!! i also checked my output shaft and that is fine to. i put the diff back together and all the gears move good by hand.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 AM
jands29
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: i'm baffled !!

when u say it stopped moving, did it lock up or just no power but wheels still turned? Did you giver it another try once you put it back together? I would assume the drive shafts/yokes are not stripped?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
russ81072

The drive shafts are not stripped that i know of, it was weird, they turned freely just not when i gave it throttle, just the front wheels spun.
Thats why i thought i stripped a gear in the diff.i am putting it back together to give it another try to see if something just came loose.
i will let you guys know what happens. it didnt lock up eitherjust stopped moving, like i stripped a gear in the diff, actually the drive shaft from the trans to the rear end wasnt spinning either,
but it wasnt locked up either, thats why its so baffling to me.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
CUHRYTDUH
My Feedback: (12)

check the e-clips on the driveshaft yokes, sometimes they come off and the pin lodges itself against the chassis.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 PM
guys2nv

Check to see if you lost a pin in any of the shafts center ones included. What model maxx is it btw?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
russ81072

its the older 2.5, i upgraded the motor to a 2.5r, well sorta upgraded, the motor only had half a gallon ran thru it so i traded my
four tec for the motor, to a friend of mine. i am actually looking at a 3.3 roller that needs tires, RX/TX and motor for like $190
my 2.5r still has a lot of life left in it. i dont know what to do about this issue. i am putting it back together to see if it works.
i will definately let you guys know what happens, maybe i can get the wife to video tape it if it is doing the same thing
when i get back together and post it.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
russ81072

ok i decided to buy another 2.5 tmaxx with a bad motor, i'll drop mine in there, and i am picking up a 3.3 motorfriday
have no clue whats wrong with mine, put it back together and still only front wheel drive. nothing broken, no stripped gears, if there is something i missed oh well,
all pins and clips fine, cant figure it out, and im done trying. got a good deal on the motor and the truck, spending under 150 for everything. it would cost almopst as much for a
new trans and diffs.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Mclovin350z

ORIGINAL: russ81072
got a good deal on the motor and the truck, spending under 150 for everything. it would cost almopst as much for a
new trans and diffs.
Did you actually open the diff cup or just look at the ring and pinion gears? It's probably just a missing screw pin on a driveshaft anyway.

A new trans and diffs would be about 50-60 bucks if you looked around.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM
russ81072

i did open the diff cup and the trans case, nothinhg is stripped. all the grub screws were in the driveshafts, no screws were missing any where
just cant figure out what happened. thats why im so baffled. the roller i got has no 2nd gear in the trans, but it runs good.
i am thinking of selling all my tmaxx stuff to get a new one, i have enough parts to make two trucks now if someone can figure out what happened to
my fouir wheel drive.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
rob_rob400

did you check the wheels to make sure you didnt strip one out?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Snook Man

ORIGINAL: russ81072
actually the drive shaft from the trans to the rear end wasnt spinning either,
but it wasnt locked up either, thats why its so baffling to me.
^^^In that lies the problem^^^.
If the rear center drive shaft from the tranny was not spinning there is no need to look at the diffs or anything else behind the rear center.
There can only be a couple of thing to look at.
The rear center shaft is disconnected from the transmission output shaft, or the output shaft is broken (which is not likely but possible).
Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM
russ81072

could it be a bearing inside the trans? i checked all that to snook, thats why its so confusing to me. ill tear apart again and check
everything again i guess.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Snook Man

It wouldn’t be a bearing…If the front wheels are spinning that means the output shaft in the tranny (which is a solid shaft in a Tmaxx) is turning. If the rear center shaft is not turning it can only mean it is disconnected from the output shaft.

Put the truck on the ground, lift the front wheels and push/pull the truck. If the front wheels do not turn and the rear center shaft does it can only mean the shaft is not connected to the transmission output shaft. Check the screw that holds the shaft yoke to the tranny shaft, the screw pin can break but still look intact.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:22 AM
russ81072

thanks snook i'll check that out, the grub screws did look ok, but you never know right? now i'll have to put it back together again! LOL!!
i love working on these things, its very relaxing to me.