Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

smoke coming from the carb on 2.5 t-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 PM
stalefishsk8er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke coming from the carb on 2.5 t-maxx

so i was trying to attemp to get my t-maxx runing. after several attemps to get it to fire up and running, i set the needle that sets the fuel flow to the carb and while tunning it i saw smoke from the carb so i quickly turn the needle to sut the engine off and i saw a reddish ring which i think its a gasket not sure but i saw smoke coming from there so what do you guys think is causing the smoke? the fuel i am using is 20% nitro blue thunder just in case this has a factor in it or not
Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: smoke coming from the carb on 2.5 t-maxx

Tear it down and inspect if motor was used
Old 09-09-2011, 05:36 AM
chris6414

Not sure. It sounds like you are looking at the Carb gasket. Usually when running, if there was a leak it would be sucking in and leaning the motor out.

1st, it's a 2.5. Have you owned the truck since new? If not, I recommend tearing the engine down and inspecting everything and replacing all the o-Rings and gaskets when you reassemble. I know it is PITA, but it will ensure you know that everything inside is GTG.

Example: I just traded for a T-Maxx 3.3 and a Stampede. The stampede ran great as soon as I got it and the motor looked brand spanking new. Carb was sticky so I rebuilt it for GP and figured I would check the inards as well. Sure enough the bearings were rusted and the con rod upper was out of round and had alot of play on the wrist pin. Piston and sleev looked new so I wasn't sure how the damage occured. Replace the case(w/bearings, new con rod and crank for about $35) and now "I know" the motor is like new. When you buy used you can never assume everything is GTG. The Stampede was old and probably hadn't had after run or WD put in like recommended and the bearings just rusted from sitting. You couldn't tell when it was running but they were bad. My 3.3 wouldn't tune right from the git go and it also looked practically new so I took the carb apart and found a partially blocked jet from the manufacturing of the plastic carb. Once that was fixed she purrs and tunes easily. Tear her down and inspect everything. I have read the carb throat is notorious for leaking air and the backplate as well. Good luck
Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 AM
masterhacker1989

don't use blue thunder, its crap, i use wildcat eliminator fuel, Ive found my tmaxx (2.5/3.3) runs like crap with blue thunder (hard starts, no power)  i can do wheelies with the wildcat fuel, the blue thunder it barely likes to kick into second gear, unless i run it really lean, which i wont do
Old 09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
stalefishsk8er

ORIGINAL: chris6414

Not sure. It sounds like you are looking at the Carb gasket. Usually when running, if there was a leak it would be sucking in and leaning the motor out.

1st, it's a 2.5. Have you owned the truck since new? If not, I recommend tearing the engine down and inspecting everything and replacing all the o-Rings and gaskets when you reassemble. I know it is PITA, but it will ensure you know that everything inside is GTG.

Example: I just traded for a T-Maxx 3.3 and a Stampede. The stampede ran great as soon as I got it and the motor looked brand spanking new. Carb was sticky so I rebuilt it for GP and figured I would check the inards as well. Sure enough the bearings were rusted and the con rod upper was out of round and had alot of play on the wrist pin. Piston and sleev looked new so I wasn't sure how the damage occured. Replace the case(w/bearings, new con rod and crank for about $35) and now "I know" the motor is like new. When you buy used you can never assume everything is GTG. The Stampede was old and probably hadn't had after run or WD put in like recommended and the bearings just rusted from sitting. You couldn't tell when it was running but they were bad. My 3.3 wouldn't tune right from the git go and it also looked practically new so I took the carb apart and found a partially blocked jet from the manufacturing of the plastic carb. Once that was fixed she purrs and tunes easily. Tear her down and inspect everything. I have read the carb throat is notorious for leaking air and the backplate as well. Good luck
since i am the original owner of the truck tearing it down wont be neccessary since i rebuilt the clutch on it
Old 09-10-2011, 04:46 AM
chris6414

OK, original owner. Carb set to stock settings? Also, have you ever had it running? I assume yes as if you had to rebuild the clutch you must a have a ton of time on this truck. If it's been awhile, since it is a 2.5, was it stored properly and was fuel run out of it? If it sat for awhile, I would still tear it down and replace all the orings and gaskets and do a thorough clean of the carb and inspect bearings and internals. Yes, tear it(the carb) down to every last piece and clean(run cleaner through jets and passages) and then replace gaskets and reinstall. If you like, I can PM you my number and you can call me and I will walk you through it. Like I mentioned with my .15 Pro that looked shiny new. It obviously sat for awhile and the internals corroded and the o-rings in the carb were dried out and cracked. After a thorough inspect and partial re-build, she wheelies my son's Stampede all day.

Question on the fuel as well. How old is it? Where was it stored? Sorry for all the questions but all this info is needed to correctly diagnose your problem without having the motor in front of us. These little wonders of engineering perform great when all the parts function as designed. All it takes is an O-ring, a crack in the carb body or the littlest thing to not let them function. I don't care what anyone says, if you don't store these motors correctly, they will not run as they did before you put them away. I would be happy to talk with you over the phone and guide you through of what to inspect. I have a preserved 2.5R I can use to help cover the parts.

Gasket kits are cheap.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXDGB6&P=K
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 AM
stalefishsk8er

i had it sitting for about a month with a half a tank of gas in it since it's been raining and the hurricane so i could take the truck out. the fuel i bout back in late 2010 early 2011 and its been stored in a nice controlled room.