Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Traxxas Stampede electric VXL Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 AM
msvendsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Stampede electric VXL Brushless

I looked on Traxxas' website and saw that the electric Stampede was about $199, and the nitro stampede was $299, I am completely new to this and am wondering the differences between the 2, because a $100 difference is a lot. And when I get either of these trucks will it come with everything already installed in the trucks to get to the top speed advertised, if not what will my speed likely be? Thanks.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Traxxas Stampede electric VXL Brushless

ORIGINAL: msvendsen

I looked on Traxxas' website and saw that the electric Stampede was about $199, and the nitro stampede was $299, I am completely new to this and am wondering the differences between the 2, because a $100 difference is a lot. And when I get either of these trucks will it come with everything already installed in the trucks to get to the top speed advertised, if not what will my speed likely be? Thanks.

The $199 Stampede is the brushed version and it won't be very fast compared to the nitro Stampede.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 AM
bib

There is a big difference between Nitro and Electric.
One uses a specially formulated fuel to run a small combustion engine where the other uses battery packs to power a speed control and motor.

If you are brand new to the hobby with very little experience I would suggest starting off with the electric version. The 199 is indeed Brushed and won't be blazing fast to start off but you can upgrade as you get more comfortable with it. If you want more speed now you can look into the Brushless (VXL) version of the truck they will be more money but are very fast trucks. There are two versions of the Brushless truck available a 2WD and 4WD you can get the model depending on what you want to do with it.
Final note to your question about Top Speed and achieving it. Any truck you look that has a top speed of 60+ Mph will most likely require a swap out of some gearing (very easy to do) and the purchase of Lipo Batteries and an appropriate charger (this could get expensive.)

Hope this helps you out, I just got a Brushless VXL Stampede 4x4 this week - have not driven it yet but very excited to do so!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

I highly recommend electric as a "first truck" into the hobby. UNLESS...

You have lots of places you can run a vehicle that sounds like and is as loud as a weedeater, without disturbing/angering the neighbors
You already have a good basic understanding of combustion engines and their maintenance/repair needs

Nitros, in general, are faster than electrics "out of the box". They also can offer longer run times than electrics, in most cases.  They are more maintenance intensive and require a good bit more care before and after running them to keep them operating properly.

Electrics, in general, can very quickly be upgraded to perform as well or better than Nitros, if desired.  They can be run in places where Nitros cannot. (Like many parks, trails, public areas).  They aren't as maintenance intensive, and they are much easier for a novice hobbyist to jump into and learn about the hobby.

Spend some time deciding where you'll likely be running it, and how.  If you will mostly be running it around your back yard and/or your neighborhood, a great truck to start out with would be a Stampede.  If you can get the brushless version, it will be a beast for bashing around your yard.  If its in the budget for you, the E-Revo or E-Maxx is another choice to consider.  Both are excellent bashers and very quickly become speed demons with lipo batteries and brushless motors.

Good luck with your reading, and keep on asking questions!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
scoobs92

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are both fun trucks but the nitro requires alot more maintainance and is a bit more costly to run with nitro around 30 or so a gallon depending what u run i agree with everyone on here start out with electric first cause you can go brushless and lipo then that would be faster than a nitro
Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
msvendsen

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I am thinking about the Stampede electric VXL Brushless, my only concern is that it comes with the same battery as the normal electric brushed Stampede, but the VXL Brushless is supposed to be much more powerful, so I am wondering what the battery life would be on the VXL, I would be jumping it, going through dirt, mud, gravel, and hilly terrain. I am also wondering what the top speed would be with everything stock when it first comes with nothing changed.  My budget is going to be $380, so tell me if there is a better option. Thanks.