Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

E-Maxx Good beginner?

I am contemplating getting a E-maxx 3903. I don't have any R/C experiences. I really want a electric monster truck. The 3903 is just under 400 bucks and that looks about what i want to spend on the truck. Hopefully I can find some good batterys that will last something longer then the truck under 200 bucks extra with a charger. Just curious if you guys will think this will be good truck for a newbie. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-Maxx Good beginner?

Have you taken a look at the brushless Savage 2350 Flux?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good. Just a little higher then I wanted to get. Thanks for the suggestion. I also notice that you are in Oregon. Do you have a good suggestion to buy from Oregon. Or do you just buy online. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I say look at a 1/8 scale buggy as your first rc, most of them take a hell of a beating. Monster trucks tend to be heavy, which translates into more damage when you crash. But if you want a monster truck, then the emaxx isn't bad.
    You will want to get some Flm Bulkhead (stockers are kinda fragile):
    http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...LM10200&cat=15
    http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...LM10300&cat=15

and Rpm A-arms, and shock tower's. then it will be pretty much indestructible
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0462&search=Go
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0162&search=Go

Belive me its worth the extra money to get good parts, the traxxas bulk heads are like $12 a set, and the a-arms are like $5 s set or somthing like that, and you will go though allot of them
    Traxxas Tmaxx 3.3-WAAAAAY to much done to list
    Redcat Earthquake 8E-Completly stock

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: masterhacker1989

I say look at a 1/8 scale buggy as your first rc, most of them take a hell of a beating. Monster trucks tend to be heavy, which translates into more damage when you crash. But if you want a monster truck, then the emaxx isn't bad.
    You will want to get some Flm Bulkhead (stockers are kinda fragile):
    http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...LM10200&cat=15
    http://www.fastlanemachine.net/prodd...LM10300&cat=15

and Rpm A-arms, and shock tower's. then it will be pretty much indestructible
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0462&search=Go
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0162&search=Go

Belive me its worth the extra money to get good parts, the traxxas bulk heads are like $12 a set, and the a-arms are like $5 s set or somthing like that, and you will go though allot of them

Are you serious? an 1/8 buggy can't do what my Savage XS and Savage Flux HP can do and come back for more...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

emaxx is a good truck, but has some weak points...

the bulkheads can snap. if they do, you will wanna upgrade to alloy ones.

the driveshafts are weak. the twist slightly over time till they snap. CVD upgrades availible, but not cheap.

rest of the truck is pretty tough.

not the best handling vehicle.

and some (myself included) dont like having to charge 2 batts to run 1 truck.

there are duel battery chargers tho. that does help.

go look at the traxxas stampede 4x4 VXL. its faster, still 4wd and only needs 1 batt. its tougher out of the box IMO.
    it is smaller than the emaxx, but has lots of power.

SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A 1/8 scale buggy will take more of a beating than a savage, tmaxx, or any other monster truck i can think of, obviously depending on the buggy. Ive drove my buddy's buggy into curbs, houses, cars, and it just bounces off and keeps going. We have taken that thing off jumps 20ft in the air, and it takes it, try that with a stock savage/Maxx repeatedly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I have owned my share of 1/8 buggies... Have you ever owned or driven a Savage?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I owned one for like a month, it was fun. I was told they were "indestructible", but when it was breaking as much as my tmaxx, I sold it to my buddy. I wasn't going to stick crap loads of money into 2 different Rc's, just so they wouldn't break. I preferred my tmaxx over the savage, so I kept that. Like I said they are both good Rc's, and different things break on each one

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love my Emaxx (3906w/VXL and 3S lipo) it is the second truck i have owned and it is awesome and almost indestructible but compared to my wifes Summit it just doesnt come close to comparing so IMO if you are going to spend that kind of money just get the summit it isn't really fast but its fast enough and it is a beast with its locking diffs and it has great suspension too it seems like everytime we go drive our trucks i am always trying to swap controls with her lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56337.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	1683260  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ChetRog

I am contemplating getting a E-maxx 3903. I don't have any R/C experiences. I really want a electric monster truck. The 3903 is just under 400 bucks and that looks about what i want to spend on the truck. Hopefully I can find some good batterys that will last something longer then the truck under 200 bucks extra with a charger. Just curious if you guys will think this will be good truck for a newbie. Thanks
    I just picked a 3903 up, and have had tons of fun w/ it. can't wait to run it on some lipos!!! get the E maxx.
    Traxxas Slash VXL / sold ECO
    Traxxas Slash MMpro/17.5 Novak
    Blade MSR X /J3 Cub
    Cayuga82 on youtube

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to run lipo's you need to change motors. Do you need to change the ESC also?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dwcook

to run lipo's you need to change motors. Do you need to change the ESC also?
    No you can use liposw/the twinbrushed motors and the stock esc. just need to have a voltage checker http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...oducts_id=2514
    and just make sure the lipo does not go below 3.2vlts and you should be fine. I ran them with mine (twin 2s lipos)big difference in low end but need to change gearing for top end. But be aware running lipos on brushed motors will shorten the motor life.
    Traxxas Slash VXL / sold ECO
    Traxxas Slash MMpro/17.5 Novak
    Blade MSR X /J3 Cub
    Cayuga82 on youtube