Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 AM
kj2000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse

Why did traxxas make reverse a add on option instead of standard?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM
MPevine11

Default RE: reverse

why do they even have it......it sucks

dont get it
Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 AM
kj2000

I have run Traxxas for 10 years and never had trouble with reverse
Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 AM
MPevine11

if you know how to drive after 10 years.....no need for revere? shouldnt hit anything?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
kj2000

Its not about hitting anything. To me it was just nice having it when bashing around. Any other smart crack comments
Old 12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kj2000

Why did traxxas make reverse a add on option instead of standard?
Is this something for the new model ?
It may be because so many installed foward only kits that they would market it that way.
I still prefer to keep my reverse, The kids I run it for (a lot of times) think it looks more
like what they see on tv when you run over something then back up and do it again.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
steed2-inactive

i have the optidrive style reverse on both my revo and tmaxx (with the optidrive module removed) and really enjoy its convenience. only issue's i ever had with them was the optidrive module getting wet and not allowing full throttle or commanding reverse while at speed. other than that, no complaints here. why they removed it, i really have no idea. i would say cost but the revo has it standard once again. so really not to sure.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Jake C6R

As far as I know reverse has always been standard, but you can buy a forward only conversion if you want to race where reverse is not legal or if you want to reduce rotating mass.

There are a lot of reverse haters out there! Personally I like it because I bash in some nasty areas and sometimes get stuck and need to back out. I drive just fine but when you push it sometimes you end up in a bush or against something where going forward is not an option. If you like to walk and go get unstuck then by all means take the reverse out. As far as the increase in performance I don't think it matters much, especially since I changed to the Picco .26 red dot.

I have no opti drive and have no issues getting reverse to work, it's a pretty simple system. If you want to put reverse in it is easy to do and you can easily get all the parts cheap since so many reverse haters take it out. If you like it install it and don't worry about all the negative comments. Ditch the opti drive and you can even full throttle in reverse LOL.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:09 PM
kj2000

the new model tmaxx is forward only
Old 12-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Jake C6R

ORIGINAL: kj2000

the new model tmaxx is forward only
The reverse haters win!LOL J/Ki guess most people don't care for it and like the less hassle and increased performance. But I still like it!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They did it to save weight, less rotaing mass in the trans, 1 less servo up front, it makes wheelies with the long style chassis easier. Also saves them a few bucks on the truck, and makes them a few more when someone wants reverse.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:18 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got a Revo 3.3 Platnium, would u belive ive fitted reverse, no kidding where I bash ur lucky not to hit anything or get it stuck on something, it has saved me a big walk so many times, I dont care for racing im a basher, there was no noticable bashing preformace lost by fitting it.. the only real thing was i lost the centre diff. no biggie, I like wheelies anyway.

A few times ive been to my local track, most people around here dont know about some nitro cars having reverse....

u should see there faces when i go in reverse around the track over jumps... its classic, & talk about WOW factor.
oh yeah even fitted the ezstart, no problems here... that has a massive wow factor to other nitro users... i just laugh when thay are pulling on there cord.

here Is my revo with a perfect example why reverse is usefull
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuqtpyT-UsI[/youtube]
Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Jake C6R

ORIGINAL: Maj_Overdrive

They did it to save weight, less rotaing mass in the trans, 1 less servo up front, it makes wheelies with the long style chassis easier. Also saves them a few bucks on the truck, and makes them a few more when someone wants reverse.
I know, save the rotating mass of that big reverse gear and that big micro servo both of which in my hand weigh nothing IMO, personally it is better to have reverse because it works awesome. Plus easier to sell because you can always take it out but not everyone has the parts to put it in (Michael Scott - "That's what she said") LOL

Picco .26 Red Dot FTW even in reverse!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:58 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry bud i disagree about ur wheelie point, the reverse gear is replaced with a centre diff. It makes it neer impossible to pull wheelies.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:34 AM
steed2-inactive

the forward only conversion has no performance increase over the later style reverse system. the earlier tmaxx's had centrifugal clutch's on the output shaft and thats where there was a big performance increase running the forward only conversion, but not with the newer system. easier to pull wheelies....lol i dont think so!!!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Mclovin350z

ALL traxxas reverse systems have heavyparts inside. The newer revo has a better sytem, but it's still heavy. It may not be very noticeable, but the foc does make for better acceleration.
The reverse systemsare decent, but traxxas wanted to save money, and more importantly, save phone calls from the thousands of idiots wanted free reverse parts under warranty.

The maxx has come without reverse for 3 years.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Snook Man

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Sorry bud i disagree about ur wheelie point, the reverse gear is replaced with a centre diff. It makes it neer impossible to pull wheelies.
Reverse can be replaced with the forward only gear, not just a center differential.
Adding reverse and an ez start to a PE Revo is a downgrade IMO, and I laugh at those with an ez start when their batteries are dead and my pull start arm still works .
P.S…I can pull wheelies all day long with a CD if I want it too.